Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:34:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Red Jungle Fowl?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Jungle Fowl?  (Read 8771 times)
pamike
Expert Member

« on: May 22, 2006, 12:49:31 AM »

Anyone here raise them? I got an egg with some other chicken eggs in an order. It was thrown in as a freebee. Is there anything to be concerned with? I really like these birds and would live to raise them in thier pure form if it is truely possible.

mike
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 04:43:24 AM »

i raise them they are not chickens they are pheasant you can tell if they are pure after they are full grown
jk
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 10:03:02 PM »

Well I know a guy that raises them. They are great looking birds. Have you hatched it yet? or is it still in the egg?
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 01:02:16 AM »

If it is a pheasant would I need a propagating permit for it? From what I have heard they are the ancestor of all chickens. I guess that would make chickens pheasant too. I have read studies on the red jungle fowl that says that although they have similar charactaristics with pheasant, they are not genetically similar.

mike
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 01:06:22 AM by pamike » Logged
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:04:11 AM »

jchiar, what strain of red jungle fowl do you raise?

mike
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 03:19:05 AM »

I   raise Gallus Gallus   ,  they are pheasant  all chickens are desendant of the jungle fowl check gbwf.org
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:21:17 AM »

Red Junglefowl Gallus gallus

The Red Junglefowl and it's fives subspecies have proved to be of more importance to man than any other species of bird. They have provided all the numerous varieties of domestic fowl that we have today. The original distribution of the Red Junglefowl was from the River Indus in Pakistan down through India, eastward across and down through Malaysia, Java, and the Lesser Sunda Islands. They are highly adaptable and can live at altitudes from sea level up to 6,000 feet (1,800 meters). They resemble, not surprisingly, barnyard chickens.
As aviary birds, they are amenable in every way, provided only one cock bird is in each aviary. The cock bird can be run with a number of hens. Red Junglefowl can be kept with other Pheasant species, such as Argus or Eared-Pheasants, with which they do not appear to quarrel.
It is interesting to note that not only has the Red Junglefowl provided man with his most improtant domestic bird, but it has also twice made major contributions to mankind's health. Studies on birds infected by mosquitoes with malaria led ICI to develope, in the late 1930s, the preventive and cure paludrine, which had a major effect on the outcome of the battles with the Japanese in the Burma Campaign.
More recent studies on Red Junglefowl led to the means by which the AIDS virus could be quickly identified in man.

Avicultural Notes
Minimum aviary size 150 sq. ft. (14m2)--can be smaller but grass will not survive due to scratching
Statis in captivity Numerous though the purity of some stock is doubtful
Full adult plumage First year although improves in the second year
Egg clutch size 8-10 eggs
Incubation period 19-21 days
Feeding habits As for poultry

Indian Red Junglefowl of the "murghi" race

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »

From the same book, thought you all may enjoy, and what I hope will be the next species at my place:

Green Junglefowl Gallus varius

Again with a typical barnyard-fowl configuration, the Green Junglefowl is nevertheless a most striking bird with lovely metallic, greeny-black feathering on the cock bird, set off by a comb which is green near the head passing to mauvish-purple and red on the outer edges.
The Green Junglefowl is the most delicate of the Junglefowl and they require some heat in winter. They appear to mix well with other Pheasant species.
They are found only in Java where the local people greatly prize the "Bekisar," an infertile hybrid between the Green Junglefowl cock and a domestic hen, for "singing" contests. The Bekisar has been adopted as the symbol of at least one major state in Indonesia resulting in a demand for exhibiting them outside hotels, offices, and in zoos. This in turn is putting additional pressure on birds in the wild.
The World Pheasant Association hopes to set up a study of the Green Junglefowl in Java in 1992 which will look into their distribution and biology.

Avicultural Notes
Minimum aviary size can be small
Status in captivity Rare
Full adult plumage First year, although improves in second year
Egg clutch size 6-10 eggs
Incubation period 21 days
Feeding habits As for poultry
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 12:03:02 PM »

Interesting read there. What I men by strain is the strain of red jungle fowl. I have the san diego zoo strain. I saw that incubation is 18-21 days. When should the eggs be mived to the hatcher? would it ne at 15 days or 18 days?

thanks for the help,

mike
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 12:21:49 PM »

I haven't raised them , but I would put them in the hatcher on day 18.
(it was 19-21 days)
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »

thank you

mike
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »