Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Pics of Cages & Birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pics of Cages & Birds  (Read 17510 times)
Country Quail Boy FL
« on: April 21, 2004, 06:50:11 PM »

I would like to make a thread just for people to post pictures of their cages and birds. Seeing the setups other people had really helped me decide how i wanted my stuff. It gives great ideas to new comers and veterans alike.
As soon as i get my camera phone i will get some pics fer y'all.
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 09:07:39 AM »

I already tried this in another thread...nobody was interested in posting pics of their cages   :(
Foz
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:14:47 AM »

Go to this link to view some of my cages.  It's hard to capture all my setup as I would have so many pictures.

http://photos.yahoo.com/fozziesgamebirds

click on cages under the picture to view the entire album.
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:27:41 AM »

Hey Foz, I see you found a place to host your pictures!

I wanted to ask you a question about some of your cages.  I'm in the middle of designing one right now.

1) On your 'grow-cages' photo, how do you make those cage doors?  And what kind of wire are you using?

2) On 'Flight#2', almost the same question.  Where is the door and how is it made?  I see a big sqaure to the right of the tree in the photo...I'm thinking that is the door.  I was thinking of building a pen very similar to that one.  Does that have wire or flight netting on it?

Thanks for the pics!
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 04:21:28 PM »

Now that is the kinda pics im talkin about!!! Thats an awesome setup. Thanks foz....what kind of brooders do you use? And how long do you keep the birds in those battery grow-out pens and how many birds to each one of those?

And yes how do you make the doors?

Awwight folks Foz has got us started so maybe we can keep em' rollin!
Foz
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 07:32:16 PM »

The doors on both cages are the same wire used on the cage.  I use 1/2 inch by 1 inch galvanized after weld.  It seems to work good for keeping the cats, hawks, etc from getting ahold of the birds through the wire.   This same wire size works good for the flooring as well.

The way the doors are made is that you cut whatever size hole you want out of the wire on the cage, which leaves a hole to cover.  I cut edge, or square that is standing out in the picture is plastic U-shaped strips that are made specifically for covering the cut edges of the wire so you don't snag your clothes on the wire or cut your arm/hands.

Now cut another piece of wire that is oversized/bigger than the hole for use as a door so it overlaps all around.  I use the aluminum J-clips to attached that door on one side and it acts as a hinge point for the door.  The opposite side has a wire cage latch that is has a natural bend/curl that acts as a spring to keep the door latched.  If the door is large, I will use 2 latches.

Doggus, flight 2 has the 1/2 x 1 wire on the floor and side and is topped with 1 inch netting.  The longer flight has the netting on the top and down the sides to the metal sight barrier.

My brooders are a room 10 ft x 12 ft with hanging heat elements in the center of the room.   I do have some smaller home built brooder units for small hatches.

Any flight birds do not find their way into those grow out pens.  These are used for some of the ornamental varieties I have.
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 07:31:45 PM »

Foz, thanks so much for the info, I'm thinking about building a real miniature version of one of those.  What have you found that works best to tack the wire to the wood?  Do you use any furring strips?  I sometimes use these plates I see at HD or Lowes that have metal spike you pound into the woood that work pretty good but that can get pricey if you use a lot.
Foz
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2004, 09:13:29 AM »

poutry staples -or- I use a pneumatic staple gun that holds 1-1/4" long narrow crown staples (galvanized) for a much quicker attachement.
Don McGowan
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004, 08:18:31 AM »

Yeppers !!   100 bucks at Lowes for a air stapler is the best investment I have ever made !!!   I use 1 inch staples
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004, 08:56:02 AM »

....hrrmmm how to sneak an air stapler and an air compressor purchase past my wife???
Foz
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2004, 06:24:24 PM »

Com'on Doggus.....Just tell her it's for the birds and I'm sure she'll understand.

Seriously though, how about renting one for the weekend from a tool rental shop?  If the pen is not going to be too large, you can always fall back to pounding poultry staples by hand with a hammer, which I have done my fair share of too.
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 11:07:27 PM »

anything to do with the birds usually gets me in more trouble, not less.  I am always needing an air compressor, just havn't bought one yet.  I saw a deal a while ago at HD but I'm always afraid I'm going to buy an underpowered one.  I hate to scrimp on the important tools/machines.
britguy33
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 01:36:20 AM »

I know this sounds crazy but I just use a manual mechanical Arrow brand stapler and use 9/16 staples. I just staple every other wire and stagger them.  I have never had a brake on any of my cages. Of course I keep mine raised up so dogs, cats, etc are not an issue. If it is on the ground you might use longer staples.But if it will be raised up the shorter ones should do nicely.
Don McGowan
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2004, 08:26:12 AM »

I got my wife to help me build the cages !!  She really is a great help around here, after a afternoon of using the hand stapler  it was a easy sell  I just took her down the isle and asked her what she thought of one of these ( air stapler)  she asked me if I thought it would work??  I said I don't know but let's give it a try if we don't like it we can bring it back  BINGO !!!  After a few weeks she even liked the Idea of a bigger compressor.
britguy33
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 11:51:35 AM »

Don YOU are the smartest Man alive!!!! That was some awesome thinking. I am definitly going to try that when I build my flight pen. Reverse psychology Make her think it was her Idea. Brilliant!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »