Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:12:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Noticed feathers missing on the Bobwhite quail I just got.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noticed feathers missing on the Bobwhite quail I just got.  (Read 2600 times)
kiaya611
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:37:37 PM »

I was able to take a better look at the quail that I just got and noticed that some of the birds both male and female had a section of feathers missing on their top hind end.  I assume that this is normal in a colony breeding situation where many birds are kept...maybe where it is over crowded?  I know that when I had parrots, some of them would pluck each other's feathers when mating  or during mating season.

Am I on the right track?

I am sure these are really basic questions, but I am in my learning curve so please have patience with me.

Thank you.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:59:19 AM »

You're on the right track. Missing feathers at the base of the tail are most likely due to overcrowding...

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 09:55:13 PM »

They should clear up and look nice after you provide or when they are given more room to themselves.  I bought some adult birds once that looked like they had been run through a fan because of the close quarters in which they were kept. I felt the need to help them out more than anything.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »