Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:21:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  new hatch suppliment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: new hatch suppliment  (Read 2567 times)
Blue Ridge Quail Farm
« on: July 20, 2006, 05:36:20 PM »

I have been reading about the different supplements that have been tried in water and by supplementing it in feed but I am kinda confused on which has been tried and was successful.  I also would like to know where to get it if anyone has that information.  I just want to give my new guys the best chance for survival.  Thank you for your assistance.
Tom
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:37:51 PM »

Most feed stores have a water soluble vitamin mix. I give all new chicks this for their first 4-7 days. Needs to be made fresh each day.
I'll also give all my birds this 1-3 times a week during the molt. Also any new adult bird.

I let my Pheasants and Quail hatch their own, so the hen gets this with her chicks. Gives her some good "stuff" after sitting for so long.

honda2hummer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 10:11:53 PM »

reeves what kind of quail do you have and what kind of cage do you have them in?
I always thought quails would not set on their own eggs, my quials are still young so they don't lay yet.
I have bobs and pharoah, will they set on their own eggs?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:09:53 PM »

Keep reading/looking at posts. I have posted pictures of at least one pen....somewhere.
From everything I've read & heard, it is rare for Quail to set their own eggs. I have the "luck", as nearly all mine will do so. I have a Valley hen that hatched out 9 about three weeks ago. Every year I get Bobs going broody. I even had a male Bobwhite hatch out some ! (the males will do this in the wild as well. The hen will lay a clutch for the male, then one for herself)

At this moment I have a broody Amherst. They are due as early as today. But we have had some nasty weather. Lots of T-storms. So they may not hatch.
Had my Reeves hatch out their own. Didn't let them this year. Same for my Goldens. Plus other species over the years have hatched their own.

The main thing with my "luck" are my pens. Also on how I deal with each species.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »