Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Pullorum Typhoid Testing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pullorum Typhoid Testing  (Read 3091 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: July 09, 2006, 07:36:10 PM »

To sell gamebirds to the public I have to Pullorum Typhoid Test my breeders.
I am wondering how hard it is and if any body has any advice? Also were can I get cheap equipment for Pullorum Typhoid Testing?

Chukar Breeder
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 10:30:32 PM »

Pollorum-Typhoid testing is fairly easy once you get the hang of it.  What you do is take a small blood sample from the bottom of the wing.  You mix the sample with the antigen (usually dead pollorum virus) to get a reactor.  Every test is considered a reactive or non reactive test and the result is the reactor.  If you receive a positive reactor result that doesnt necessarily mean your flock has Pollorum/Typhoid.  It just means you need to have more testing done usually by the state vet.  I would encourage you to test your own birds but the problem would be that it wouldnt be a "legal and legit" test as it has to be done by an authorized Pollorum/Typhoid testing agent.  Many states will offer courses for individuals to become licensed agents.  We are a licensed testing agent for the state of Virginia and often travel to fairs or called to do testing for numerous counties.  We are also Avian certified which that test is concluded at the lab directly.  We use the egg injection method for that.  After testing the flock you place bands on the ones you receive a positive reactor from.  After testing we give the flock owner a 9-3 testing certificate that lets them know their flock was tested and found free from Pollorum/Typhoid.  The 9-3 form is the legal paperwork needed for shipment of eggs to most states in the country.  Hope this helps you out a little.  Some states may have different programs but this is what we do here.  In addition to Pollorum/Typhoid many states now require Avian testing to be done as well.  With the rainy weather lately we all need to take pre-cautions once again for the West Nile Virus.  Thats one that has been overlooked the past couple years but I can assure you its still around.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »