Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 04:52:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Okay, why are these quail so TERRIFIED?!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Okay, why are these quail so TERRIFIED?!  (Read 7381 times)
Quailer

« on: September 01, 2007, 08:08:18 PM »

As you all know, I have button quail. We moved them to a 55 gallon today because they seemed to be outgrowing the 20 gallon. It is really wierd though, they just stay huddled in a corner...maybe they are scared?  Also, they are completely terrified of me now (since yesterday which was before the "new home move".   They used to be only moderately scared of me, but in the last 2 days they have decided that I am dangerous or something...*sigh*.  Simply walking by or putting food or water in their tank sends them into a frenzy.  They run into things, and try to fly (can't quite yet though).  Is there anything I can do to help them calm down and not be so scared?  Thanks guys ;)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 09:20:26 PM »

I'm not familiar with the behavioral characteristics of button quail.  Although, Bobs are terrified of you from day one, and they never get any better, which is the way I want them to be. You have just enlarged and changed their surroundings, plus, the move would have stressed them somewhat. Practically any animal will get stressed during a move, goats, pigs, cows, etc. until they get settled in. Do you still have adequate heat on them for their age, since you increased the area that requires heating?  They'll probably return to normal.........although they are quail!!!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:47:44 PM »

Yea...Quails in general are wild. First 3 days or so after hatch they are in their baby stage. During this time, they will look to you as momy and are not afriad. After....their natural instincts kicks in. They will be skittish and flighty. Cant fix it. It's in their nature.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »

Yea...Quails in general are wild. First 3 days or so after hatch they are in their baby stage. During this time, they will look to you as momy and are not afriad. After....their natural instincts kicks in. They will be skittish and flighty. Cant fix it It's in their nature.

Exactly!  I didn't want to say it, as far as I knew they (button quail) may be like chickens. :wink:  I was afraid that "huddled in a corner" may translate to  "freezing".

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Quailer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 10:02:09 PM »

Thanks guys!  No, they are not freezing.  Under the lamp it runs about 90ish, and on the far sides its about 85, so they are good.  They are over a week old now.  I added some fake plants to the tank, and they are fanning out a bit now :).  Also I saw a couple fly about 2 inches off the ground.  Fun stuff :)  Thank you guys again!  Hi, i'm quailer, and I am a quail forum addict.... its the first step :) :)
monkeylingo

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »

BW can make great pets.  Ours love to be petted and fall asleep in our hands.  Here they are on their 1 year hatchday
smallfarmTN.

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »

As you all know, I have button quail. We moved them to a 55 gallon today because they seemed to be outgrowing the 20 gallon. It is really wierd though, they just stay huddled in a corner...maybe they are scared?  Also, they are completely terrified of me now (since yesterday which was before the "new home move".   They used to be only moderately scared of me, but in the last 2 days they have decided that I am dangerous or something...*sigh*.  Simply walking by or putting food or water in their tank sends them into a frenzy.  They run into things, and try to fly (can't quite yet though).  Is there anything I can do to help them calm down and not be so scared?  Thanks guys ;)

Quailer, I hear you on that! I have 4 Coturnix chicks that hatched from my very first clutch, (4 out of 5). They liked me for a while, but, now at 2 weeks, when I walk into the room, they act like a T- Rex just came in!
Yet, the full grown birds outside (5) go crazy when they see me coming with a handful of Mealworms and actually sit right in the palm of my hand to eat them, they are more tame than my African Grey Parrot that was hand fed from a chick...go figure.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 11:08:28 AM by smallfarmTN. » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »

Last Active: September 28, 2008, 10:30:26 AM
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »

BW can make great pets.  Ours love to be petted and fall asleep in our hands.  Here they are on their 1 year hatchday

lol2

That's just too much!!!     s020

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:58:05 PM »

Holy Sh6t..Now I have seen everything. I sure am glad I did not die before I saw that picture... s020

Jessibell

Personal Text

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:18:35 AM »

LOL that bobwhite pic is amazing. i too had a handraised bobwhite and he was just like a dog except more demanding. More like a parrot, actually.

I raised buttons for a while but I didn't like them because they were so fearful. I tried handraising them alone, in groups, in small pens, big pens, loud pens, quiet pens, and no matter what I did they were still absolutely terrified of me. Even my bobwhites were flightly but the buttons were just insane. My coturnix were the tamest, they avoided my hand in the cage most of the time but never freaked out.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »