Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Hunting Perserve Permit??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hunting Perserve Permit??  (Read 9221 times)
Missourihunter85

« on: August 08, 2008, 10:03:18 AM »

I have a dog training permit right now, and happened to glance at the permit ap. for a hunting perserve permit. I was just wondering if anyone knew what all in entailed in a hunting perserve permit. Is it something where just the hunting seasons are extended for everyone that hunts there or is it more like a glorified dog training permit where only a certian few and shoot on it?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

No, this is the permit you want, if you have access to 160 contiguous acres.  One added advantage is that you could put on little hunts with planted birds, and charge a small fee, to cover costs, or a little profit.  Insurance is a must, if you allow others to hunt, or train, there.  You must release one Quail per acre, per year, which probably won't be a problem, for you.  Inspection might take a while, if you wait until Sept.  And especially once archery deer season starts.

A friendly relationship with your county Conservation Dept. enforcement officer is the best tool you have concerning permits.  Mine said if I want to add locations, to do it, and he will inspect next year at renewal time.  They are too busy with jerkoffs to spend a lot of time fretting over people who are obviously trying to follow regulations.  At the state level, they want the revenue, and an authorization from the local guy.  If you use the land, already permitted for dog training, you may not need to have your pens reinspected.

I would be interested in acquiring hunting preserve permits for different parcels around the state, to operate as diverse training and hunting grounds, and to demonstrate ability of dogs for sale.  Maybe something along the lines of small sportsmans club?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Missourihunter85

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 02:00:05 PM »

does the 160 acres have to be all one person's property? I have one property that i hunt that's just a hair under 130 acres, and another that's just under 100 acres. If i could get a neighboring property to go along with it and let me use their property on there could i use both properties that would make well over 160 acres? And with the birds I have a small pen but nothing fancy because normally I buy all the birds i use for training so if i don't keep any birds for an extended period of time would that still be a problem?
mobe_45
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 05:26:41 PM »

If the neighbor is agreeable that would make over 160 contiguous acres. For the permit I would guess there would need to be a written agreement between the two owners to show the inspector. Also for liability reasons.

Mark
LM GOA
Benefactor NRA
PF Member
LM NAHC
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

Once again, you local agent is the key.  If he knows your plans are not to make a big production out of things, he might be able to make an exception.  Most probably wouldn't make a fuss over being 30 acres short.  Many properties will have 160 total acres, with 60, or so in proper habitat, and the res in timber, or that nasty fescue, so a friendly neighbor can allow you to claim a chunk of unusable land, or put it on the permit with the understanding that you will not use that part.

Briar Hill Brittanys

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 10:48:50 PM »

I asked my local agent (Jasper County) about this when he was out for my inspection for our new place.  It was my understanding the land was to be contiguous, or separate permits had to be issued for each parcel. I didn't think it had to be necessarily owned by the same individual.  Like wilder said though, a lot is up to your local agent.  The key is a good rapport with him.  By the way, those are some fine looking Brittanys you guys have.

Mark

Britts aren't big dogs, but there's more than enough room for all you want in devotion, intelligence, and a merry disposition. Britts live to please their hunting pals. Pick a bird cover from chukars to woodcock, they'll do the job for you with pleasure.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 12:04:12 AM »

The land could technically be in a dozen parcels, with a dozen owners.  That sounds like a nightmare, huh?  The land can be on opposite sides of a road, creek, or river, but in a position to be contiguous, if the road, or river did not exist.  Two nearly adjacent properties could legally be connected by a third, narrow, piece, owned by another, but you need to make arrangements, first.

I've never seen anything in writing that you need a written lease, but it might be good to have a lease, or written permission, or some kind of agreement, before applying.  That way you won't be delayed.

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:39:50 AM »

By the way, those are some fine looking Brittanys you guys have.

Mark

Thanks, I have another one, but he insists on being paid to allow his picture to be published.

Your pup looks nice, but you dress him funny.  Unusual markings, nearly perfect circles.  I first thought he was a black and white EB, but enlarged the picture.  Do you happen to know James Doughty in Neosho? 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:50:56 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

Missourihunter85

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »

Thanks everyone for the info. Briar Hill thanks for the compliment, that's a good looking Brit that you have as well, and like wilder said he/she has some neat markings. I like it. Back to the subject at hand, I'll talk to the game wardend and see what he has to say. That would be great if he would let me use it 30 acres short.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »