Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:40:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Someone let my birds out!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Someone let my birds out!  (Read 4080 times)
Jeff

Personal Text

« on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:12 AM »

Now I'm angry....

Went out to feed and water the birds and there were approx. 50 less birds than I had.  2 pens had to have been opened by a person, an animal could not have done it.  The pens had hasp type closures with spring loaded "locks".  There were no bird remains found and the pen doors appeared to be open a little with the locks in place.  The doors are a very tight fit and I had them shoved in, they were a little pulled out, but not open.

Now I'm left with 20 birds with a hatch going on now.  I'm really disturbed, my new Hitachi drill and other tools were next to the pens and not touched.  The chicken pen was not opened, only 2 quail pens.  The 3rd pen still had all the birds.  This weekend I'm going to get keyed locks for the pens, and borrow a friends trail camera to put above the pens.  Hope the turd tries it again..... 

On the bright side, all the stray cats are getting good meals.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:00:46 AM »

Sounds like kids ?
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:10:29 PM »

Sounds like you need to put a lock on them.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:31:09 PM »

i kind of agree about the kids part how close are your neighbors? can they see the pens? or can you see them from the road?

it also could be just some animal activist  s53 who let them out and tried to make it look like the latch didnt latch good enough or something like that but the locks and trail cam is exactly what i would have done also

why do people have to be like this  s176

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 10:11:59 PM »

Went and got locks today, should be getting the trail cam monday. 

the pens can't be seen by neighbors or from the road.  The one neighbor likes the idea of me raising quail, he's an avid hunter and has animals.  I'm thinking kids roaming the neighborhood.  The pens are in my barn in an old horse stall, door to stall open to the outside for cooling and light.
smallfarmTN.

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:29:56 AM »

Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear that Jeff. Do you know the kids in your neighborhood? Getting to know them and making friends with them is the best way to get them to stop, other than a mine field around your coops. nl4
wpalmisano

Personal Text

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:22:55 PM »

Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear that Jeff. Do you know the kids in your neighborhood? Getting to know them and making friends with them is the best way to get them to stop, other than a mine field around your coops. nl4

Um, another good way might be to kick their ---es. At 10 bucks a bird, that's a lot of money. Locks are a good idea, so is the trail cam. Once caught, they should be forced to cover the damages. A parent is legally liable for his child's misdeeds. In any event, you are on private property, so ......rock salt.

Jeff

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »

Since the locks, no lost birds!  Woohoo!  On another note, buddy cannot get his trail camera to me just yet, it's at his hunting lease.  I did find shoe prints around my cages, around an 8 or 8 1/2.  No pry marks on the cages yet.  School has started now and nothing, no problems.  I'm guessing it's kids and they are not staying out late to get into trouble.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »

have you been able to recover any birds? if it were my property i would wish they would come back and i would be lying in wait with my paintball gun and i would have shot the crap out of them  s020

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »