Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Egg bound hen/ NOTE: graphic pictures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Egg bound hen/ NOTE: graphic pictures  (Read 24895 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« on: June 28, 2008, 03:39:37 AM »

Pheasants hens that are Egg Bound and Die.

Below are a number of pictures included within this topic showing the hen, the abdominal area, and the incisions that were made along with opening showing a fully formed egg lodge in the shell gland area.

Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasant (hen) 0800, June 20th 2008 / Outside temps 57* / 81% humidity / calm winds / heavy cloud cover.

While collecting eggs this morning I had first hand to see a hen try to pass an egg. I have seen many hens do this since I have been in the pheasant raising business. I have never seen a hen actually die. This morning is the first time that a hen died before my eyes trying to pass an egg.

Continued in next post.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 03:46:08 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 03:44:01 AM »

The hen is a Manchurian Ring-neck Pheasant and was born April 19th 2004. The hen was in apparent excellent condition. I have collected eggs from her as well as the other 2004 hens each year. I have hens that died over the years of either from being egg bound and to prolapse.

All these things and more can be found using the search engine on the Merck Veterinarian Manual on line at:  http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

Notice in this picture the extended abdominal area.

More to follow in the next post

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 03:48:41 AM »

The incision opening the abdominal area:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:51:23 AM »

The opening of the abdominal area.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:59:04 AM »

The hen never made it past this stage for the egg to reach the vagina area and to the vent. Although the egg is not overly large, I have noticed that some of the hens are starting to pass their eggs having blood smears or streaks, being this late in the season, (hens that were born early in the year) and by this time are slowing down or have stop the egg production all together. By mid July, all egg laying production has stopped, and their molt cycle starts within 2 weeks afterwards.

The opening of the egg gland.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 04:02:12 AM »

A closer look at the egg in the egg gland.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:05:06 AM »

The egg removed from the egg gland.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 04:06:18 AM »

The egg gland removed.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 04:07:25 AM »

Closer look at the egg gland,

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 04:13:44 AM »

Final picture with the open abdominal cavity and egg gland.

This is what the Merk Manual has stated:

A fully formed egg may lodge in the shell gland or vagina because the egg is too big (eg, double-yolked) or because of hypocalcemia, calcium tetany, or previous trauma (pecking) to the vent and/or vagina. This condition may be more prevalent in pullets that are brought into production before body development is adequate or in hens that are extremely obese. It occurs more often during spring and summer months due to overstimulation of birds by increasing light intensity and day length. This is a medical emergency in pet birds but is usually recognized only at necropsy in poultry. When impaction occurs, eggs that continue to form create layers of albumen and yolk material, and the oviduct becomes very large. Some eggs are refluxed to the abdominal cavity, and affected hens assume a penguin-like posture.

I haven’t come across any hens this late in the laying season with cases of prolapse. The cocks have even slowed down on their pursuits of the hens and even fighting amongst each other has ceased. 

Well so much until next year. Time to get that hen ready for the smoker!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 04:23:01 AM »

It wouldn't be fitting to let this Rn Hen die in vain after many years of dedicated service to the way side of the garbage trash.

This hen has risen to the top to be smoked and BBQ'ed and enjoyed as table fare.

The smoker stage. :?:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 04:25:34 AM »

and the final BBQ stage to make the skin crisp. j2

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 12:31:03 PM »

Steve that is a great visual demenstration...I will take one side of the breast.. s020 What kind of wood chips do you use to smoke your birds with?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »

slider,

She was done in Hickory.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 01:53:10 PM »

Steve I used to use alot of Hichory, but now I use Wild Pecan..its a little milder..I still like the Hickory..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »