Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:09:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Busy Busy !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Busy Busy !  (Read 8846 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: July 28, 2008, 11:41:37 PM »

Got a call, went for an interview, start a new job on Wednesday. Not sure when I can post after that.....24 on, 4 off schedule.
Thought I'd do a quick up-date....
Started to put vinyl on the shop. But the last employer has not paid me from last June. Running short of cash ( Labor Board will get him  :evil:)
I've finished the north side. Have the gables to do on the east and west sides. Need a new window and door to finish the south side.
I'll be doing the soffits (sp?) and facia (sp?) later....also going to remove the tin (roof) as the person that built it didn't put anything under the tin ( no water barrier).
Not as hard a job as I thought.......as long as you do not have a good number of others on the go at the same time !
Got 78 trees to plant tomorrow as well !

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 04:04:53 PM »

Not so busy......the new company wanted me to spend over 2k to get an air shut off installed in my truck (quote from Ford is over $2100.00, then up my insurance to 2 mill liability, at least one fire ext and spill kit.....and more. All for 100.00/day for the truck, which is well below industry standards.

Just after I turned that one down, a buddy called and will be calling again later today. New place looking for a hoe operator and is paying $36.00 to #38.00/hour, and I will not have to spend a bunch of money on the truck.
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:11:11 PM »

Hope it works out for you Reeves.
Shop looks good by the way.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »

Just after I turned that one down, a buddy called and will be calling again later today. New place looking for a hoe operator and is paying $36.00 to #38.00/hour, and I will not have to spend a bunch of money on the truck.

That's operating their hoe, not your's, right?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:15:59 PM »

That's operating their hoe, not your's, right?

Nope, not mine. That wage is just for me to show up with my lunch.
If it was with a hoe, the rate for a 270 size hoe is (about) $170.00 - $180.00/hour.
Don't have one of my own. Came very close 3-4 times, but when you own one, then you HAVE to work  :grin:
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »

Hey Reeves,

Can i help?, i love to plant   j41

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:13 PM »

Came very close 3-4 times, but when you own one, then you HAVE to work  :grin:

That's pretty much the way with any equipment, except the minor stuff, or used to death rust piles. 

I had a semi-friend a few years back, who used the G.I. Bill to learn to operate heavy equipment. He rented backhoes, and trackhoes, by the month for a while.  The others he rented by the minute, I think.  Anyway, within about 3-4 years, he could not rent anything heavier than a garden shovel anywhere within 50 miles of Phoenix! 

He ran them into the ground, working every minute he could keep his eyes open.

By the time he was banned, he had enough for a heck of a down payment on all the equipment he needed.  Of course, he was at least 20 years younger than we are.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 11:07:56 PM »

Hey Reeves,

I'll bet you any amount of money, that at my age I can work you into the ground !
"New" kids have no idea what it's like to work a 16 + hour day, non stop/no breaks.....day after day : it's how I work when home.

Wilder....odds are good he will at some point loose averything he has....seen "those" types many times.
But who knows......he may rip off so many people over the years he'll retire at a young age.
Angers me. I treat all persons I have worked for with respect and hard work...even if/when they treat me bad, or screw me out of money.
At least when I go to sleep at night, I sleep well.

In regards to needing a hoe for work at home, nearly every one I've worked for has let me take one home for weekends etc.
No costs at all.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 12:12:39 AM »

"New" kids have no idea what it's like to work a 16 + hour day, non stop/no breaks.....day after day : it's how I work when home.

Not every kids...  s47

When I don't work on my birds I work at my job, already made much more than 16 hour in a day last year, finished that I was sick, too much coffee is giving "nice" digestive problems... I already made 19.5 hour of work with only 20 minutes of break for eating... The next "morning" is not great, worst than a hangover, but after you think more than 2 times of what you'll do with your money. But, I must admit that when I look at some of my friends, I'm discouraged to see them... The "older" generation was too smooth with some of them...

I also love to put plants in grounds  s020 is it black earth or a kind of "hard" ground at your place?

Anyway, have a nice evening!

Frank
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »

Hey Reeves,

I'll bet you any amount of money, that at my age I can work you into the ground !

Wilder....odds are good he will at some point loose averything he has....seen "those" types many times.
But who knows......he may rip off so many people over the years he'll retire at a young age.
Angers me. I treat all persons I have worked for with respect and hard work...even if/when they treat me bad, or screw me out of money.
At least when I go to sleep at night, I sleep well.

In regards to needing a hoe for work at home, nearly every one I've worked for has let me take one home for weekends etc.
No costs at all.

Reeves, i'm not a "New" kid as you put it, i understand how it feels to work non stop, its not easy.     I 'am experienced and trying to do my best in life.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:32:58 PM »

The most important is to all kick our @$$ to do our best. But about what Reeves said, I don't know how old he is, but when I listen to my grandfather stories, there is not 0.1% of the "new" kids who do hard job like that, yes I work a lot and kick my butt, but surely not as much as older people like my grandfather and maybe Reeves' generation also...

Don't forget that many older people were lefting school at 12-13 years old to work at the house... Today it's to sell drugs, no need to tell for who I get more respect.

Frank
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30:17 PM »

Frank, Reeves is quite a bit older than your grandfather, but I bet he'd have you pantin' and pukin', before noon.  On the other and, if you lived through three months, you'd be either a man, or a  girl.

Mikey; you so funny!  :grin:  j41

frank_lap_127
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 12:30:09 AM »

Ahah, I'm not that sure Reeves is older than my grandfather... I won't say the age of my grandfather here, but I would bet Reeves is younger, even much younger...

I don't understand the last part...

Frank
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »

s020

Three rows on the back left to do, when a big storm came in. Going to try and do it today ?
Right knee went south though. (maybe I'm not as tough as I once was....hey, isn't there a song about that ?  :grin:)

No idea when the south side will get done.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 08:13:49 AM by Reeves » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »

"I'm as tough as I once was............once."

My 65 year old father would put 25 year olds to shame all day long, day after day.  I do more at home than anywhere else, with my 2 boys right there with me. No internet permitted, TV is for after dark and video games are for a -20 degree day after the outside work has been done, no cell phones.  I can't stand laziness.

:grin:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »