Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  and yet more FREE stuff !
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: and yet more FREE stuff !  (Read 9968 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 09:29:58 AM »

Your truck wouldn't make it long up here. Over 2000 GM diesels lost their transmitions this winter, due to the cold ! Not to mention, there is a sensor in the air intake in the wrong place. When driving in snow, or even after a car wash, the sensor ices up and makes GM diesels go into "safe mode" and only runs on a few cylinders....keeping your speed down to 30-50kmh (30mph or less).
Better keep your truck down there in the warmth and on dry pavement  :grin:

Guy told me (I didn't drive over to look) that there is about 20' (long - not high) of snow/drifts in front of it, and high snow banks beside it. Due to the melt/freeze each day/night, it is hard snow. I can walk all over on top of it .....till about noon.
Anyway, his little snow blower will not bust up the hard snow. Just have to wait.....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 09:48:33 AM »

Mine doesn't fall into the category, it's an older model.  It's all propaganda anyway, started by Toyleta.....tryin' to make their first attempt at building something a guy could use to work with look good.  They've got alot more work to do.  :-|  The truth is.....others don't have any snow in the air intake problem simply because they are not able to travel/start/move in such severe weather conditions. 

i9

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »

and another problem GM has....during that cold spell we had up here (-40c and below) the synthetic diff oil got so thick, some wouldn't move. They had to be kept (towed) to warm shops and the oils changed.

It's odd how all the BIG 3 are having so many troubles each and every year. They are trying so hard to re-invent the wheel , with out any testing (other than selling them and fixing/ignoring problems after the fact......

Went by the Esso stn. this morning to see if I could talk the inspector oput of stuff : nope.
That place even has the hyd hoists in two bays. All is going to be scrunched up and junked. Told him I'd have to saty away from town, so I would cry about all this good stuff going to the dump & being coved with dirt........  s2 s49 s20
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »

Anyone who drives a semi, locomotive, bulldozer, backhoe, trackhoe, etc., knows not to go out and fire it up when it's around 0* F , drop it in gear and take off instantly?

Heavy equipment has to be warmed up in cold weather, especially the extreme colds........anyone knows that.    ^-^   

a26

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »

t15

I know that ! But I was talking about the diff in a GM pickup !

Down to about -10c all I do is warm up the engine. Below that I'll "exorcise" a Hoe. A Dozer has to be moving to warm up. Well, except the blade.
I don't drive trains. Arn't they diesel over electric ?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 12:13:19 AM »

Arn't they diesel over electric ?

The B&O Railroad has been starting to use the GMC's for  their power source.  The front end of the locomotive opens up like a garage door and the conductors can drive the truck out to go get something to eat, go to hotel or whatever, then just simply drive it back in,  then the rear wheels set on rollers similar to those used on a vehicle dynamometer, and then they (rollers) are connected to the trains locomotives wheels with a Allison V700 Series Supa Torque Right Angle Inverted Vertical Symmettric Transmission (ASSTRAIVST for short). Although they did have trouble with the final drive axles used on the early models on the Burlington Northern Railroad and the pump pressures had to be turned down on the truck to keep from twisting the trains axles off. Thus spinning the wheels creating dips (pot holes) in the train tracks.  Of course the truck has to be bolted down with 5"x 2', grade 45V tungsteon bolts to keep it from shooting out of the front of the locomotive like the space shuttle, just a precautionary measure in case something where to go wrong with the trains differential.

^-^

about the diff in a GM pickup !............

.........my point exactly......."a piece of heavy equipment".

a28

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:15:31 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 08:19:35 AM »

c109

s020
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 10:25:24 AM »

Got the message to pick the camper up tomorrow or Sunday.

Hope it is in better shape than the free S-10. Not looking forward to convincing the wife it's junk.....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 04:35:28 PM »

Got the message to pick the camper up tomorrow or Sunday.

Hope it is in better shape than the free S-10. Not looking forward to convincing the wife it's junk.....

You'll answer what ever she says with a "Yes Ma'am!"  and like it!  You're not foolin' anybody around here.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »