Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Cheap and easy bobwhite breeder pens...anyone have
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheap and easy bobwhite breeder pens...anyone have  (Read 12703 times)
PAcortunix

« on: August 05, 2007, 03:45:46 PM »

Pictures or plans to make some cheap and easy bobwhite pens? I want to have probably around 4 pairs of Butler Jumbos and 4 pairs of Whites. Im trying to think of a wired bottom unit that I can make that doesnt take up much space but gives the birds plenty of room.
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
  :angel:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:45:51 AM »

Here's an idea:

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=2856.0

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:23:21 AM »

A layer cage I built. It is 10'lx 18"w x 18"t and is divided into 10 sections 1ft wide x 18"x18" each section is for a trio of bobs or coturnix quail. each section also has a top opening door and a nipple drinker with a feed trough on the outside with slots cut in the wire for just their head to fit thru. So in all 30 birds will fit in it. This is a setup for egg production only and others stay in colony cages or flight pens. All in all it cost about 80 dollars and 3 hrs to build including latches and nipple drinkers.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 02:29:39 AM »

Another cage like it with a different feed and water setup. They have a 12" feeder inside the sections elevated 3' on a platform the same size as the feeder. The black cups in the pen also is for play sand so they can take dust baths. Also in the back is a little bit of a 10' long x 3' wide x2' tall colony cage with 50 Coturnix quail in it. It has both front and top opening doors for access.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:33:43 AM by WHITNEYPLU » Logged
PAcortunix

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 04:49:55 PM »

Thanks guys! I have decided to switch gears from breeding bobwhite to breeding Jumbo Cortunix. Im going to breed in a ratio of 1 male to 3 or 4 females. And I based my design off the one users GSC-rollouts but customized it to my liking. I'm also going to be using Vinyl coated wire instead of regular wire. For birds comfort more than anything.
Thanks all for the help and pics. I will post pics of my birds and setup once it is all complete!

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:30:39 PM »

Thanks guys! I have decided to switch gears from breeding bobwhite to breeding Jumbo Cortunix. Im going to breed in a ratio of 1 male to 3 or 4 females. And I based my design off the one users GSC-rollouts but customized it to my liking. I'm also going to be using Vinyl coated wire instead of regular wire. For birds comfort more than anything.
Thanks all for the help and pics. I will post pics of my birds and setup once it is all complete!

Are you done yet?............where's the pix?     I deserve a picture for cryin' out loud!   :x:

:oops:

Sounds as though you've put some research and thought into it, good luck!    :angel:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:46:33 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 12:27:28 AM »

lmfao Trailboss on  the bottom of your post about the wife.  I have been relucent to buy the vinyl coated wire as I have been wondering how the J clips work on them.  Also how much longer do they actually hold up than standard wire. Seems to me when the coating gets a cut in it it would hold in the moisture causing the wire to rust out faster. Would like to hear someones input on this as it has been nagging at my brain a while.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 12:43:44 AM »

:roll:    :twisted:

Seems to me when the coating gets a cut in it it would hold in the moisture causing the wire to rust out faster. Would like to hear someones input on this as it has been nagging at my brain a while.

Me too.....as in also.   

Kinda reminds me of those plastic coated shower "caddy's" that you hang over the shower head arm. I've never seen one yet, that didn't rust out. Although, now that I think about it, I've got one that's at least 5 years old and it just now needs replaced. And those things are wet all of the time, especially where the bar soap lays.  :???:   

PAcortunix

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 01:30:35 PM »

LOL pics wont be for acouple months. I'm having a local amish man build it for me. Usually I always build my own pens, brooders, etc. But it is actually cheaper to have him do it. Surprisingly. And he doesnt use J clips he uses wire. Here is a pic of one of the 2 cages I picked up from him 2 years ago for transporting my birds. Got the 2 cages for 25 bucks total at auction. Thats cheaper then regular galv wire ones from feed-store. And there is also a pic of one of my last minute home-made brooders I used for some chickens last year. And we still manged to sell that cabinet!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 01:32:15 PM by PAcortunix » Logged

PAcortunix

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:34:24 PM »

Ohhh and here is another of my my last minute brooders but I like this one more. Might be adding a wire floor to it this year but not sure.

PAcortunix

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »

And a cage I built for my bobwhites when I had them and also used it as chick brooder when the chicks were old enough.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »