Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  How bout some close in hunting Labs ???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How bout some close in hunting Labs ???  (Read 11490 times)
cancan

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »

Nice, Glad im not the only PL guy out here, I get bashed on other forums alot...makes no sense to me.....pointer guys are hard Arses....Ive got pointers to but that doesnt lessen what the lab does.
He will point birds just as far out as pointers and go into cover a pointer wouldnt dare go in....least not one ive seen.

Nice lookin dog. Heres mine.

Running bird
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 09:27:11 PM by cancan » Logged

todays might oak is just yesterdays nut that held his ground.
cancan

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 09:34:26 PM »

I free flight release my birds....they seem to be a little wilder that way and my scent isnt intermingled .....too many pen raised birds can make em crowd the birds a bit....I like mine to point a little farther out....he will repostion if a bird moves.

galaxie428

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »

That is a good looking dog cancan. I see you also use him for goose hunting too. My dog loves to dove hunt and quail hunt. I just wish I hadn't waited so long to get a dog. I wanted one for several years.

I have a recall pen I fly my birds out of too. I just don't have much of an area to do it in. I plan on asking one of the local farmers if he would care if I moved my pen down the road to a woods along a creek by where he farms. That would be a great spot and would provide much better cover for the birds that what I currently have.

Are you a member of the PL website? I see someone with the same username over there.

What part of the country are you in?

Jason
cancan

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:21:41 PM »

yea thats me, im in maryland right now, heading west as soon as my property sells here.

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:39:48 PM »

I don't know a WHOLE lot about all the details of a good hunting dog, but our Yellow lab seems to do very well... He's been pheasant hunting a couple of times and duck and goose hunting numerous times. It took him a few minutes to get the idea of going out in front on the upland hunt, but once he winded the first few birds he jumped righ in there! His nose goes up and he heads off, you better be payin attention! He finds the birds!! He's just a little over a year old now and I think he's doing real well, considering that he is my husbands first hunting dog, and first training attempt! Mention a dead bird and he gets all excited!!
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:08 PM »

Good thread, good input.

I've had four mos now with my pup, he's just turned 8 mos, has ahd 3 birds shot over him, retrieved all well. On retrieving in practice he's going out like a bullet and coming back the same way, so far I'm very happy with him. When we go out in the woods he ranges out now about 25-30 yards, has pointed a number of birds on those.

Looks like hunting season is going to be fun.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »