Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  I am new at quail anything??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am new at quail anything??  (Read 5852 times)
amie149
« on: June 08, 2004, 08:06:41 PM »

Hello Guys, I have purchased very little incubator for my 10 year old son with 5 bobwhite quail eggs. The incubator looks like a ufo. It has a yellow round base and a clear round cover. We are all VERY new to this. I have tried to look up sites on what to do but have had no luck. Can someone please tell me what we need to do. The temp, turning, hunidity, etc. This is our family project for the summer. Gonna teach the boys about it. Have them do a daily journal. Something to keep us all entertained for the summer. :D  The incubator has not arrived yet so I am hoping I hvae time to get prepared before it arrives. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all. :wink:
joip
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 07:15:59 AM »

On the home page under propagation there is some good reading on incubating eggs, still air or fan forced incubators and brooding of chicks, would suggest reading through that which answer alot of your questions

Joip
DDWBeagles
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 07:59:41 PM »

I see those little yellow incubators on ebay all the time.  They are a cool way to introduce people to the hobby as you can usually get one, with 4 or 5 quail eggs for less than $20 (including shipping).  The downside of this, is they are notorious for zero hatch rates.  It's too hard to stabilize the temperature and humidity in those things.  So, during the whole process, your child is going to be getting excited, but may learn another important "life lesson", that being death.  If statistics hold true, prepare and rehearse your explanation as to why the eggs didn't hatch as you'll most likely be giving that speech.  

As discouraging as that sounds, it's not all bad.  There are a ton of sites that go into great detail on how to build an incubator yourself, with readily available materials.   Another option is to purchase a GQF, LG or Hovabator Styrofoam bator for about $35 dollars.  You can manually turn the eggs by placing a 2x4 piece of lumbar underneath the side and swap sides three times a day.  (Or if the budget allows, get a forced air unit with auto turner).  Even if this was a one time experiment, the resale value on the used bators is better than 75%, thus leaving you with a loss of about what you've already spent.
    If the little space ship one doesn't work, upgrade to a better bator or build one.  The experience of hatching your own chicks is unforgettable.   You're on the right site to learn from the experienced veterans here, lord knows I have.  Good luck and pass on your results.  We may just be surprised.   Finally, to aid in your success since this little bator can't maintain temps/humidity too well, I would suggest putting it in the MOST stable environment in your house.  The closer the outside environment is the ideal incubation temp/humidity the better your chances.  My suggestion is to place this little bator in a cooler or box and candle the eggs every seven days.  Sorry, I'm rambling now.
wvgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 11:44:06 AM »

I just got back on the forum.I know I am late with your request, but I wanted to reply.  My son and I started raising quail about 3 years ago just as a project. We have grown to about 200 birds a spring. We have no quail where we live although they are native to this area. They all dissapeared years ago after a horrible winter. We would find coveys of them dead. Anyway, I hope you had good luck. I use the circulated foam incubator with automatic turner and they work great. I had 92% hatch last year, but had trouble with the electric going out this spring and didn't hatch 50%. There are always ups and downs. You learn more each time you do it. Start out small and build. This forum is great help too. Good luck on your new hobby.
komori35
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 09:08:16 PM »

hey wvgirl-

have you maybe considered raising the kind of quail that disappeared and realeasing into the wild to get the population up again? i know maybe you need a lisence or something but it could be a good thing seeing as your hatch rate is so high...just a thought  :wink:

-komori
wvgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 09:26:34 PM »

yes I have thoughtabout it, but it is against the law to release them except in a confined hunting area.You have to have licenses and permits for raising birds for this.  It is a great idea and I have thought about it.
squirrelhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 05:39:57 PM »

Here in wisconsin all that is required is a $25 dollar license. Don't own that license myself, wild animal farm license. I should get one for hunting purposes.
Flower of Eden
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 10:54:10 AM »

Actually, I have had good luck hatching chickens with my little yellow "UFO".
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2005, 04:39:25 AM »

wvgirl

quail

yes I have thoughtabout it, but it is against the law to release them except in a confined hunting area.You have to have licenses and permits for raising birds for this. It is a great idea and I have thought about it.

You are only partially right, once you have the WV business license and the game farm permit, you can raise, sell. and release anywhere you please. You have to fill out the DNR form LE-33B stating where they were released.
I do this all the time with my pheasants. I have written agreements with 5 local farms in my area. I will either release adult birds or 6 week old chicks in the spring.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »