Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Treatment of Pecking Injuries
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Treatment of Pecking Injuries  (Read 10485 times)
Jarel

Personal Text

« on: July 24, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »

Our first brood of 24 jumbo Coturnix have just turned 6 weeks and the males are getting active.  We found one male today that had a large bloody gash on the side of his head and have removed him from the flock to recover.  I've been reading through the forum pages and found one reference to treating bloody pecking injuries with Vick's Vapor Rub. Does anyone have other remedies to treat the wounds, or is the typical practice to leave them alone and they will heal on their own?

We plan to pick our best brooder males and then the rest will join their cage mates at freezer camp! We just haven't decided which males we want to keep yet, and we want to make sure we are caring for any who get pecked in the meantime. We are separating the males as best we can in separate cages. Thanks in advance for helping out some newbies and sharing your vast experience and expertise!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:31:42 AM »

Just use anything that you would use on yourself..You will never stop it totally just get your ratio right fast...How r you going to tell which ones r the best ones ????  Last one standing ???

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jarel

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:07:32 PM »

Thanks for the reply!  Last one standing sounds like a good reality show!

Actually, my husband is looking at size and disposition to make the "cut" and some of the males are getting visiting privileges to see which one gets the breeder designation.  We are watching them closely and have only had the one get ganged up on, so he got isolated.  As soon as the breeder boys are determined, the rest become a summer bar-b-q.  Sooner than later as the crowing is starting to get annoying!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 06:11:10 AM »

More times than not the more aggressive males are the best breeders...and bigger is not always better..just get Ur ratio right and that should take care of Ur problem..put them in low light and put some pieces of Styrofoam in there for them to peck on...good luck...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »