Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Atutomatic turner 3 times, 39 times, per day?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Atutomatic turner 3 times, 39 times, per day?  (Read 2922 times)
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« on: July 16, 2007, 06:14:02 PM »

I have turner set for every 5 hours (almost 5 times per day).

The main purpose for the suggestion of sticking to an odd number is so they will be on a different angle on successive nights.  This doesn't apply to a completely automatic turner.  Is there another reason for sticking with odd number of turns per day?

I have read studies done with broiler eggs, suggesting that turning 24 to 96 times per day increases hatchablity, especially with lower quality eggs (better eggs hatch well, without special handling).  My incubator will only turn 24 times per day (automatically).  Has anyone read, or experimented with results of turning more than 3 to 7 times per day when hatching game bird eggs?

Documentation would be helpful, but not necessary (except, of course, from Reeves).

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
canadamanada

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 01:22:16 AM »

My coturnix turn once an hour.The odd number of turning rule exists from the pre-automatic turner days. The idea was that if you turned by hand, an odd number of times daily, the egg would not spend consecutive nights on the same side. It does not apply to auto-turners.
Again, mine go through 90 degrees, hourly. It works great for me.
Hope that helps you some.

Everything works, until the day that it doesn't.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »

Documentation would be helpful, but not necessary (except, of course, from Reeves).

:laugh:

When I was reading up for my post/topic on Incubation and Humidity, I remember reading about turning 5 times/day. However, I do not remember reading why to do this. It is likely in there some place though.

I wouldn't go to the trouble of turning poor quality eggs more than 5 times a day, unless a rare or threatened species & you really need to hatch what you can.
Otherwise, the best, uniform & fresh eggs are the ones you should be using anyway. (as posted in another post of mine)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »