Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  mature eggs did not hatch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: mature eggs did not hatch  (Read 9110 times)
schultz
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:07:35 AM »

Ok, I just hatched a few pheasants. Started with 20 eggs, candled them at 10 days and then again at about day 18.
By hatch date I had 16 eggs that appeared to be maturing.
What a bunch of duds, I ended up with 6 healthy chicks.
Of the 16 eggs I had 10 that did not pip.
I waited until day 30 and then opened the remaining eggs, and all appeared to have been healthy and ready to hatch.
Through out the incubation I kept my humidity at 60% and temp at 99.5.
Raised the humidity to 70% the final 3 days.
What did I do wrong?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »

Ok, I just hatched a few pheasants. Started with 20 eggs, candled them at 10 days and then again at about day 18.
I waited until day 30 and then opened the remaining eggs, and all appeared to have been healthy and ready to hatch.
What did I do wrong?

Humidity should have been wet bulb at 82-84 degrees. The % should be between 52-54%.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
schultz
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:16:51 PM »

What did I do wrong?

Humidity should have been wet bulb at 82-84 degrees. The % should be between 52-54%.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
So is the information on the propagation page of this site inaccurate? It says 60% at 99.5 degrees until the last 3 days and then raise to 70%
Thanks
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 02:23:14 PM »

What did I do wrong?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
So is the information on the propagation page of this site inaccurate? It says 60% at 99.5 degrees until the last 3 days and then raise to 70%
Thanks

Well let's see, I use two GQF 1502 sportsman cabinet incubators. It has the electronic thermostat and auto turners. I have been using these for the last 3 years. The manufactures instruction manual states: 99.5 degrees and a wet bulb @ 82-84 degrees. When using a radio shack digital thermometer, my two QGF thermometers, one for the cabinet temperature, and the other with a wick over the thermometer stem inserted in the water tray shows 83 degrees wet bulb. I run the humidity in the middle as much as possible. The radio shack digital show the humidity at 53%.

When I hit a wet bulb at 84 degrees my radio shack shows me a humidity reading at 54%. This is all with the incubator temp running at 99.5 degrees.

What does you incubator manufacture recommend? Are you also using a wet bulb or are you just using a digital thermometer?

Please post the link to the page your are referring to :

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
schultz
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:53:06 PM »

http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/incubate.htm

Here is the link from the Home page under the propagation tab.

This is what it says about 3/4 of the page down.

Temperature inside the incubator should be maintained at 99 1/2 degrees and a relative humidity of  60 %. During the final 2 days of incubation the temperature can be decreased one degree and the humidity increased to 70%.

Not trying to create an arguement, just trying to understand.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 06:56:20 PM by schultz » Logged
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »

If I say anything, t-boss will ask for data !

:laugh:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »

If I say anything, t-boss will ask for data !

:grin:

Well, you just wouldn't expect everybody to just take your word for it would ya?  Do to your lack of experience and all?    :twisted:

I won't ask for anything anymore, it's just too expensive!     :cry:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 11:59:05 PM »

I won't ask for anything anymore, it's just too expensive!

Ya !

You told me the cheque was in the mail a year ago & it's still not here !

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 04:09:20 AM »

http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/incubate.htm

Here is the link from the Home page under the propagation tab.

This is what it says about 3/4 of the page down.

Temperature inside the incubator should be maintained at 99 1/2 degrees and a relative humidity of  60 %. During the final 2 days of incubation the temperature can be decreased one degree and the humidity increased to 70%.

Not trying to create an arguement, just trying to understand.
Thanks in advance.

The last paragraph also states:
The incubation process is often a result of trial and error. Temperature, humidity and turning of the eggs are three essential factors in a successful hatch.  It is recommended that you consult incubator documentation and more specific material available about how to incubate quail eggs before attempting to incubate eggs yourself.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 04:10:52 AM »

I won't ask for anything anymore, it's just too expensive!

Ya !

You told me the cheque was in the mail a year ago & it's still not here !

Must be the difference in postage. :laugh:

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 11:41:11 PM »

I am about to set my first batch of Chukar eggs.  This subject is making me a little nervous, as I have the chicks pre-sold. 

I also found a 60%/70% suggestion for Chukars, from U.C./Davis, as well as several others.   But two others, from southern universities, or wildlife departments, as I recall, that fall right near the 53% mark.

I've read that allowing eggs to lose a little moisture, just before being set, seems to help with hatch rate.  I will set these at 53% and wait for further suggestions from Reeves, or Steve, or Trailboss, or...... .  If humidity should be higher, I should be safe.  Do you raise this to somewhere in the range of 63% for the last three days?  Do you think this is about right for Chukars, all pheasant breeds, and quail? 

My incubators were originally for Ratite eggs, so there is no suggestion for game birds.  They are digital, and read outs are in %RH, and degrees Fahrenheit.

Also, is there a formula for converting wet bulb to %RH?  I have a chart, but it is in whole degrees, and 5% humidity increments.  I can calculate with the in between numbers, but then I am guesstimating.  I'd rather have a formula (elementary calculus, or easier) that I can count on.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:47:38 PM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 11:51:41 PM »

I'll see if I can find the chart to post in the morning (re:conversions)

You should be good to go at 53%. 60-70 is too high for incubation. They would drown when hatching.

(note made to find chart)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 12:06:40 AM »

You read everything here : http://www.thatquailplace.com/raising/humidity.htm

??
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »

I hadn't read that, at least I don't remember the part about raising the humidity to 85% !!!!  How would you do that, anyway?  Install showerheads connected to hot water?  I did a quick search for duck egg settings, thinking maybe water bird=high incubation humidity.  I did find a reference to Pekins suggesting 80%, but most duck eggs seem to hatch around 55%-65%.

One problem is that some people refer to wet bulb temperature numbers as %.  That isn't actually correct, is it?  Here is one example of that http://www.duckeggs.com/hatching-eggs.html I have also seen this in reference to game bird eggs.

Some use  **%, wet bulb, which is understandable.  But isn't degrees wet bulb, or wet bulb temperature correct? 

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »

You trying to confuse me ?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »