Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:28:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Anybody heard of this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anybody heard of this?  (Read 3341 times)
Royal Flush Game Birds

« on: August 22, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »

Had a buddy of mine that said a fellow he knows made this comment to him about egg setting. I was wondering if there was anything to it.

Setting eggs in the morning produces more hens.

Setting eggs in the evening produces more roos.

I normally set my eggs in the evening as I work late and normally I have an abundance of roos compared to hens.What do yall think?

WWW.ROYALFLUSHGAMEBIRDS.COM
JohnInDixon
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 04:20:18 PM »

Not sure how this could be possible, but since you mention it... me too!  I usually start the incubating Wed night after church, 2 weeks later (after Wed night church) I stop turning the eggs and my hatch starts that Friday night.  Cycle works good for me, but I too, have too many roosters compared to my hens.

Will have to to try the other way around. hmmmm

John
Britton Howe

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:37:14 PM »

I've always wondered why I always have more rooster pheasants. this last bunch of pheasant chicks out of 28 of them only 5 are hens. but it's been like that for me every time  i have a hatch of pheasants. have'nt notice on my quail.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 07:32:38 PM »

I've not kept track, but I have been running close to 50/50 plus or minus.  I always have too many roosters, but thats because I don't need as many roos as hens.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 12:58:51 AM »

I set mine around 5 in the evening and I usually get about 3 roos to 7 hens average. I don't think time of day has anything to do with it. I have heard that incubator average temp does have some bearing on sex but I am not sure how that one goes.

mike
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:18:56 PM »

Yea I don't think time of day has anything to do with it since in the incubator is pretty much it's own atmosphere. Mostly dark in mines. I've had variations of hens vs rooster percentage.
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 12:03:49 AM »

well it is a fact of nature that males have a better chance and are more likely - reason being why you see allot of people with male birds and no hens - either they are hard to find or they are vary expensive. Also as far as pheasants go i have my oldest group of 400 and i think there is 150 hens in there give or take but that is average also with pheasants the males are stronger than the females and the chick and young birds you lose are normally hens

I am usually working late as now it is 11 pm already and half the time i don't get a chance to set my eggs till mid night - so whats that telling me is it late at night or early in the morning and that should at least even things out.. Right?

Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »