Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Calculating hatch Rate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Calculating hatch Rate  (Read 10107 times)
mainequail

« on: June 05, 2006, 09:07:26 PM »

I would like to know how different people calculate hatch rate and
just what sorts of nonhatching failures they have.

As an example, I just had 100 Jumbo Bobwhite eggs in the incubator.
85 hatched as healthy happy chicks
5 hatched with crooked legs , couldn't walk properly or just looked to be in really bad shape, and were culled after three days
1 got  partially out of the shell and died
3 pipped but couldn't hatch
2 Appeared normal but never pipped and died
2 appear to have died earlier in development
1 appeared unfertile
1 cracked and was dried out

I call it an 85% hatch rate.
I have seen some people not count the unfertile and cracked eggs.
How many of you count the deformed and weak that need to be culled in the first few days?

So far I have an 82%, 79% (purchased eggs), and the 85%, this year, with another batch of 100 and one of 120 still to go.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 09:16:58 PM »

I only count the eggs that make it into the hatcher. I do not count the others that do not make it in for one reason or another.

69 eggs into hatcher on wednesday night
46 hatched
0 deformities

I call that a 66.66% hatch rate and still more coming.

mike
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »

As far as I am concerned, what is in the incubator is in the calculation hatch rate. Just as you stated.

What hatches and lives in a 24 hr period is in the calculation hatch rate. Those that die while in the hatchery are a neg# those that are infertile are a neg#. Those that die while hatching are a neg#.

If you start out with 1 or 100,000 what hatches and lives in the first 24 hr period is in the hatch success rate.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 09:27:53 PM »

isn't it cheating if you don't count all the eggs you first put in the incubator?   if you put in 100 eggs and only 75 hatch you have a 75% hatch rate.
scot
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 10:02:18 PM »

I only count the eggs that make it into the hatcher. I do not count the others that do not make it in for one reason or another.

46 hatched
0 deformities

mike

This is not an actual hatch rate. If someone ordered eggs from you, let's say 100. He puts all 100 eggs into his incubator. He now candles the eggs after 2 weeks and finds no fertility signs on 10 eggs. He now has the possibility of only a 90% hatch rate in his incubator am I correct?

Now let's assume, all goes well during the incubation period, proper temps/humidity. It is now time to move the eggs to the hatchery. We are now working on the possibility of a 90% hatch rate, am I correct here?

The 90% hatch rate is scheduled to hatch in 3-5 days into the last incubation cycle. Proper temps and humidity have been accomplished. The hatcher/hatchery has not been open at all during the hatch cycle. No loss in temp setting, no drop in humidity settings.

After the last day of the prospected hatch, you notice 10 more eggs that have not hatched/survived. 3 died in the shell prior to piping and the other 7 died during the exiting of the shell. Correct me if I am wrong but we are now down 10 more leaving it a possibility of an actual 80% hatch rate in a 24-hour period.

This leaves the actual hatch rate in a 24-hr period as 80%. All chicks that leave the hatcher/hatchery after the drying period, whether 12-hour or 24-hours even if deformed still counts as an actual hatch rate.

I base the sale of my eggs on the actual hatch rate as I have stated above. What I set in the incubator is the actual start base line. I do not start to eliminate eggs on the initial set, due to infertility.

If I state a 70,80, or 90% Hatch rate, this is based on what the actual egg count set and hatchery hatch.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm.

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 10:08:39 PM »

isn't it cheating if you don't count all the eggs you first put in the incubator?   if you put in 100 eggs and only 75 hatch you have a 75% hatch rate.
scot

You are correct. If that was the case and you took out 25 eggs for non-fertility then you could say you had a 100% hatch rate, while in actuality it is only 75%.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 10:24:45 PM »

46 hatched
0 deformities

mike

This is not an actual hatch rate. If someone ordered eggs from you, let's say 100. He puts all 100 eggs into his incubator. He now candles the eggs after 2 weeks and finds no fertility signs on 10 eggs. He now has the possibility of only a 90% hatch rate in his incubator am I correct?

Now let's assume, all goes well during the incubation period, proper temps/humidity. It is now time to move the eggs to the hatchery. We are now working on the possibility of a 90% hatch rate, am I correct here?

The 90% hatch rate is scheduled to hatch in 3-5 days into the last incubation cycle. Proper temps and humidity have been accomplished. The hatcher/hatchery has not been open at all during the hatch cycle. No loss in temp setting, no drop in humidity settings.

After the last day of the prospected hatch, you notice 10 more eggs that have not hatched/survived. 3 died in the shell prior to piping and the other 7 died during the exiting of the shell. Correct me if I am wrong but we are now down 10 more leaving it a possibility of an actual 80% hatch rate in a 24-hour period.

This leaves the actual hatch rate in a 24-hr period as 80%. All chicks that leave the hatcher/hatchery after the drying period, whether 12-hour or 24-hours even if deformed still counts as an actual hatch rate.

I base the sale of my eggs on the actual hatch rate as I have stated above. What I set in the incubator is the actual start base line. I do not start to eliminate eggs on the initial set, due to infertility.

If I state a 70,80, or 90% Hatch rate, this is based on what the actual egg count set and hatchery hatch.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm.

Pure Genius!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Britton Howe

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »

I used to count every egg that i put in the incubator. but last couple years I only count those that are fertile.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 07:25:47 PM »

Well let me clear the confusion here. :laugh:

Fertility Rate=All eggs
Hatch Rate=Fertile eggs
JohnInDixon
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 09:41:20 AM »

Well let me clear the confusion here. :laugh:

Fertility Rate=All eggs
Hatch Rate=Fertile eggs
I'm sorry but that didn't work... Even more confused.

I think Federal Law requires that the hatch rate = amount of eggs put in incubator divided by number of quail available for freezer :police:
mainequail

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »

Just what I had hoped for, a variety of opinions, all interesting.
Thanks to all who participated (or continue to post to this thead)
Babs_MN
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 02:12:43 PM »

We calculate our hatch rates the same as Pheasant Hollow Farm.

Discounting what was infertile misrepresents a fair ratio, imho.

Babs
Country Egg
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 04:17:38 PM »

We calculate our hatch rates the same as Pheasant Hollow Farm.

Discounting what was infertile misrepresents a fair ratio, imho.

Babs
Country Egg

The only way you can give an actual hatch rate to a customer looking to purchase egg from you, is by doing two actual hatches of your own first.

I will set the first batch of eggs in mid march and calulate the first hatch, then once again in Mid April. What ever the hatch rate is in Mid April winds up being the actual hatch rate for April-May.

My peak hatch period is May to mid June with an average of 85-90%. By the end of June to Mid july the eggs slow down and the hatches drop down to 55-60%.

All my egg customers know what my first hatch % is in March, then April, May. Most of my eggs sell in April and May.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Babs_MN
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 07:02:53 PM »

lol, okay I guess I don't run exactly the way you do, but thats okay we aren't competing. ;)

I just meant that we use the total number of eggs set, and don't discount what was infertile or didn't develope for whatever reason. We also set shipped eggs to see how the hatch rate compares.

Babs
WoodyD
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 08:46:29 AM »

Just finished reading all the ways to calc the hatch rate and wanted to put in a word.

Why would a person(s) only want to % rate on those that were fertile and liveed and were healthy through the first 24hrs of hatch other then a SELLING point to customers when the person doing the incubation REALLY needs to know what % for the total amount of eggs going in the incubator(s). In otherwords,  what really is needed is the REAL percentaged as what goes in and what comes out to isolate problems in the whole process. By this its a way to check (and record) whats cauing lower rates as disease, uncleanliness, not properly trained or non-caring support personnel, intermittant failure of electronic controls, temp/humidity gauges, etc., etc.

Case in point - by closely monitoring what was happening with a few of my hatches (all the eggs going in) I was able to track it a lousy, no good, infertile male. Beautiful bird, cocky, ladies loved him but he wasn't worth a "hoot" in the production area(and he wasn't overworked either).  Swapped him with another ccompariable coscky bird and my hatch rate did go up considereably and these chicks almost jumped out of the shell and up and running after pipping.

So lets not kid ourselves, the hatch rate is a way of monitoring. Unfortunately, some people hang their livelihood on it.

Woody

(Raises varieties of PH, Quail, and Waterfowl)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »