Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:46:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  r-com incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: r-com incubator  (Read 3275 times)
eric11980
« on: January 18, 2006, 12:37:34 AM »

I have two of the new r-com incubators that I ordered from brinsea.  I tried hatching button quail eggs in them, the first time out of seven eggs I had one hatch the rest failed to develope or died in the shell.  It is supposed to have automatic humidity, temperature control, and egg turning.  I know it turns the eggs every three hours the temp is correct and there is water in there for humidity.  I put more eggs in 14 this time and only six were developing at 6 days. I discarded the rest.  I used a brinsea high intenstity candler to do this I candled once again at 10 days and it appears to me that according to the chart that came with the candler some of the eggs have died but I'm not sure. I bought the eggs from sellers on ebay.  So basically what I would like to know is there anyway to know for sure if the embryo has died, and does anyone else have one of these incubators and have much luck with it? 
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 04:44:38 AM »

one of your biggest problems is you bought your eggs from e bay i bought       hundreds of eggs off ebay last year with terrible results buy from a reputable dealer   i would try eggbid had better luck with them you still have to watch  a lot of people sell old eggs and keep the fresh ones for their use
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:24:03 PM »

although I am biased, because I sell a ton of eggs on ebay, not ALL ebay sellers are shady/ unreputable. I personally, only ship eggs that are 48 hour or less old. Any older than that, and they go in the trash, or my incubators.

There are many factors that affect eggs while in transit. Considering that this is winter time, I would say that fridged temperatures would possible have an affect on them. Not to mention x ray machines, rough handling, etc. No matter who you get eggs from, there are risks involved with the shipping.

I would start checking all your instruments and settings. Double check your thermometers against a known good set. Make sure your humidity is proper and constant. Also, make sure you're not getting any temperature spikes that the incubator can't compensate for. If you are 100% sure that the incubator and thermometers are %100 correct, then I would start questioning the quality of the eggs, and contact the seller and ask for replacement eggs. Some do, some don't. It can't hurt to ask, and if anyone on ebay cares about thier feedback/reputation, then they will try and make you as thier customer happy if possible.

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
eric11980
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

any suggestions as to where I can get quaility fresh button eggs I live in PA so I try to order from places that are farely close so they are not shipped that far.  The 6 week old button quail I have seems lonely and calls constantly so I hope to get some companions soon.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »