Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:31:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  Had to put one of my turkeys down
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Had to put one of my turkeys down  (Read 3034 times)
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« on: June 01, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

I am not shure if you remember or not but I hatched three turkeys, one of witch I had to brake out of the shell. Well he was doing really well till this weekend. I noticed he started walking funny and figured he was going to get spraddle leged and I was right. I found him on Saterday not able to walk so I put him down, I felt bad for him :cry:. He was doing so well but I gess that goes along with raising animals like that. I work on a hog farm so I now how it is when it comes to having to kill the week, skinny or crippled. dk2
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:56:50 PM »

its just the name of the game sometimes

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:47:56 PM »

Yea, my other ones are doing really well though.
greyghost
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »

How did you do it? As unfortunate as it is, culling is a part of raising birds. Here I go; when I get a  chick that will not stand on it's own and therefore die of starvation it must be culled. I take the chick by the legs and turn it backwards, placing it's legs between my  first and third fingers then in one quick motion take it backward against the 2X4 that holds it pen together. It is over sooo fast, I then  say I am sorry and go on with the healthy birds.
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »

Thats how we put the baby pigs down when we have to cull them. I was going to do that but b/c his legs were so spraddled I could not do it right so I did not even try that for fear I would not kill him right away. So in the end I had my husband kill him with a shuvel, it was real quick and he felt no pain. I could not bring my self to do it like that, thats why I asked him to. It was the only way I could think to do it that would be quick and pain free. I always feel bad when I have to kill them, I had to kill one of his hatch mates when they first hatched b/c he could not brake out of the shell and me helping him did not work and he was just to week. I killed him the way you said you do yours.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »