Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:31:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  bald head????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bald head????  (Read 5151 times)
Beth
« on: May 27, 2004, 09:01:20 PM »

Help,  one of my females is acting very quiet and all ruffled.  I noticed today that the back of her head is bald and bloody.  I have 6 female Bobs and 1 male.  What could be wrong?
She is about 1 1/2 year old.  Predators couldn't have gotten to her, only the other quail. :(
I seperated her from the others and put some triple antibiotic ointment on the bald area.  Put vitamins in her water.  Any suggestions????? :?:
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 09:24:58 PM »

Sounds like a classic case of the dominant hen(s) picking on her.  Mine do that from time to time.  When I discover it, I move the injured one (and one or two randomly selected other females) to a different cage with a different male.  I don't think I've ever had to move a hen twice.  I try to keep up (by leg banding) who gets along with who and who I should NEVER put together.

David
Beth
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 06:24:56 PM »

I noticed that all the females are getting small bald areas on the back of their heads.  Are male quail the same as roosters(chicken) in that they grab the female by the head feathers to hold on?  Is this normal or do I have a rough male?
pgbirdman
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 02:22:57 AM »

I've seen very agressive behavior with male quail.  Yes, they do grab the female by the feathers on the back of the head.  If there are none, skin will do.  And they try constantly.
uplandmom
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 04:33:33 PM »

ALL my female cotornix quail are bald-can't take them to the auction like that.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »