Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:22:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Health Issues
| | |-+  DEAD Pheasant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DEAD Pheasant  (Read 19598 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: June 18, 2007, 02:18:14 PM »

Well, about a month and a half ago I had to take my less dominant of my ringneck pheasant males out of the pen because of breeding season. Anyway I put him on my only free pen a small pen with a wire floor. Well 2 days ago he was all puffed up barely moving and had yellow droppings. Does anyone know what was wrong, it has been hot.

Thanks
birdlover
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »

hi,
i researched and the disease your pheasant had was most likely Blackhead disease or commony known as histomoniasis. There are signs that tell if the pheasant had the disease.  If you noticed that the pheasant had the disease then you could of prevented it and there would of be a good chance that your pheasant would have survived. If the pheasant had the disease and it was treated, mortality is very high.  Try not to get too upset, diseases are common in birds, just next time watch out for different signs and treat them.   Sorry for your loss. 
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 03:42:35 PM »

He was not acting wierd until the day before he died.
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 03:52:07 PM »

hi,
i researched and the disease your pheasant had was most likely Blackhead disease or commonly known as histomoniasis. There are signs that tell if the pheasant had the disease.  If you noticed that the pheasant had the disease then you could of prevented it and there would of be a good chance that your pheasant would have survived. If the pheasant had the disease and it was treated, mortality is very high.  Try not to get too upset, diseases are common in birds, just next time watch out for different signs and treat them.   Sorry for your loss. 

I don't think we understand your qualifications for diagnosing and treating disease? Spell Check is wonderful!!!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:54:18 PM by gsc » Logged
birdlover
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

hi,
exactly, since you knew he was acting wierd, there should have been some signs to show that something is wrong. Sometimes people ignore the signs and wonder why things happen. People can prevent most deaths by just being aware of what is wrong with the bird, then trying to narrow down what disease or sickness the bird most likely has.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:38:47 PM »

:eek:

Now that's an amazing recovery!  :wink:

birdlover,

If I was aware of what was wrong with one of my birds, would I still need to narrow down what disease or sickness that it had? And if one of my birds was acting weird, would it be showing signs that something was wrong?

Let's say that I don't know anything about the feed or incubating periods, could I possibly be able to diagnose a disease or cause of death?

I just wonder if it could have been the "feeder" feeding formula they are using? Any thoughts on that?

I knew a guy once who had this strange noise in the front end of his car, he just kept ignoring it, then when the wheel came off, he wondered why things happened. If this silly guy would have only known what was wrong, he could have had somebody look at it to see what was happening and prevented the tire from falling off.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:28:12 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birdlover
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »

hi,
Excellent point trailbossusa, well if you were aware was was wrong with one of your birds, yes, you would want to try to figure out what disease or problem they had so you would know what medication to use to treat them with, and to prevent it from happening again. If you know nothing about feed  or incubating periods, no you might not be able to figure out the cause of death or to be able to diagnose. Absolutel, i agree 100% that what you feed your birds depends on the success of the birds, i know a person who wanted he's birds to lay eggs, but who was he kidding when he fed them a diet of plain old seeds. Some of it has to do mainly with common sense, if you eat a well-balanced meal everyday , why wouldn't you do the same for your birds, there faith lies in your hands!!
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »

Hi have I started a fued :laugh: I feed my birds good feed and have taken care of my birds really well. This is my third year raising birds and it is the first pheasant that I have had die on me.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:15:17 PM »

Hi have I started a fued :laugh: I feed my birds good feed and have taken care of my birds really well. This is my third year raising birds and it is the first pheasant that I have had die on me.

Absolutely not, although I hope you get the answer you're looking for!

All in good fun.  Amazing at times. I'm just having a hard time deciding what faith I want my birds to be.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:20:33 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:15:28 PM »

If you haven't tossed it yet, and it has been kept cool/frozen, take it to the vet to see what it had. If gone, take a stool sample from the pen to the vet.

oh ya, thank you birdlover for my daily laugh  :laugh:
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »

How bout we quit posting replies (ahem, birdlover) about how better feeding can result in healthier birds. We don't need advice about that... and let's try to figure out what actually happened to cause the death. Reeves' suggestion sounded like the best way to go, Forrest. Good luck finding out what happened.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
birdlover
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 08:23:26 PM »

hi,
I am just so sick and tried of getting smart replies from you jk, stop with the stop doing this stop posting this reply.  I know what i'm doing.  Just admit you just have a strong hatred for me for some reason. Just give me respect, i'm not going around telling people that they should post repiles, it was always me. Just stop once and for all.
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:00:53 PM »

If you would open your eyes, I am not the only one...   :angel: Why should I give your supreme gamebird knowledge respect, if you are severely lacking in it? Open your eyes, I am trying to help you... all those replies you get that are what you falsely assume of being in a joking manner are not in a joking manner. You are the one that should learn some respect... respect for others' knowledge and respect of your lack of it. As much as I (along with I am sure many others) would like to just ignore your posts, I (we) can't.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »

Birdlover, as I have stated before to you.  This is not a chat room as you understand it.  You can NOT give advise here.  You are not qualified!  You need to pay more attention to the feedback you are getting from EVERYONE! They are not playing with you.  You need to just sit back and read not reply.  There are many professional breeders here who are completely sick of reading your posts, and yes would love to ignore them but can't.  They are making fun of you on everyone of your posts.  Not just JK. 

Go to MySpace.com they might be excited for you.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
birdlover
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »

hi,
why cant i give advice, thats pretty unfair don't you think. I understand if i knew nothing about birds not to reply, but i do know things, i have wrote people back with decent information.  If you don't mind, i want to help people with their questions and to give out useful information, i didnt become a member on this site to make jokes and fool around.  i deserve respect!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »