Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  NASS Survey
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: NASS Survey  (Read 9882 times)
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« on: January 11, 2007, 06:54:35 PM »

I received a survey today sent from the National Agricultural Statistics Service (NASS) and just thought I'd ask if anyone else has received one.  As all of you are aware of the upcoming NAIS (National Animal Identification System) requirements I just thought this survey seemed a little out of the ordinary.  I've been in this business for over 20 years and this is the first time I was ever asked for this type of invasive survey.  I was going to trash it until I read that it is a requirement to be filled out and submitted. 

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 08:47:10 PM »

Have not received one yet but can't wait to get it I just love filling out forms :angel: :angel: for government agencies
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 11:11:59 PM »

Rings a bell.
I'll post info if I find it.....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 11:12:49 PM »

Nothing here. But I'm just small potatos.

Although I must add that government intervention into everyday life is getting worse by the day, especially in the schools. You give birth to the kids and the gov lets you raise them how they want them raised. It will cost you dearly to say/prove them otherwise.

Rant!

Sounds like firestarter to me if it didn't come certified, I pitch stuff like that and wait for them to come after me.    LOL!

Do you have any info that you can post or direct us to this "NAIS" that you speak of?  I'm not sure that I'm familiar with it. Like I said........I small potaotoes and may not be privy to that information without stumbling across it somewhere.

Thanks

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:27:53 PM »

My dad got one.

Forrest
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:20:53 AM »

Trailboss says <I small potaotoes and may not be privy to that information >

I reply- Size of the potatoe has NO bearing in this monster.....one bird,pig,goat or cow is all it takes and you are in with the big boys.  The good news is that you have until Jan 1, 2008 to register your "farm" before the guys in black SUV's and tall shiny black boots arrive on your doorstep in the middle of the night .  Here is a link to a past discussion that pretty much tells the sad sad story.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=1873.0

« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 07:24:56 AM by stewaw » Logged
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 11:26:40 AM »

Trailboss says <I small potaotoes and may not be privy to that information >

I reply- Size of the potatoe has NO bearing in this monster.....one bird,pig,goat or cow is all it takes and you are in with the big boys.  The good news is that you have until Jan 1, 2008 to register your "farm" before the guys in black SUV's and tall shiny black boots arrive on your doorstep in the middle of the night .  Here is a link to a past discussion that pretty much tells the sad sad story.

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=1873.0

Thanks stewaw!

Now that is OUT THERE!   Simply Amazing!   Hitler must still be alive.

They must not have enough criminals to fill the court houses and jails. I always knew that I should have been an attorney.........business gets slow........just make laws to make more criminals to defend and prosecute.  If people in this country would stick together and absolutely no one complied with such invasive reindeer games then maybe we could get somewhere...............................but that's too much trouble. The law makers in this country are on a roll and as long as we take it, they'll keep dishing it out. This kinda goes along with rumors of "them" passing laws about trans fat...........telling you what to eat and where you're going to buy it. Not grow it.......buy it. Thank goodness Walmart has high quality, grade A, genetically modified healthy food that I can happily be forced to purchase from them with what "they" permit me to have out of my wages........what a relief!   I'm glad that these people whom live off of our money exist, otherwise, who would look out for our best interests? If it weren't for these people I'd just be roaming the earth in a stupor.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:49:02 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 05:47:10 PM »

Well maybe the government knows something we don't know?
Maybe intelligent beings from outer space are interbreeding with our livestocks?
This in my opinion can be a national security threat! :police:
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »

I agree, the government knows that the American people will give up their rights/freedoms........before their cell phone or TV.   :laugh:

This is just a bunch of bolognie anyway, unless someone has more info than what I've found, everything that I've read says that this is totally voluntary in every aspect.

This is what I found:

Producers who raise animals only for their own consumption rarely commingle their livestock with others. These
livestock are often only transported for custom slaughter. Since they do not come into contact with, or commingle, with animals from other locations, they do not need to be identified for the purposes of NAIS.

USDA has no plans to make participation in any component of NAIS mandatory.  ............this is a exerpt from the USDA, taken from: 

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/naislibrary/documents/instructions_guidelines/User_Guide.html#notneeding
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 06:41:50 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 07:25:20 PM »

Thanks for the current research Trailboss- When the initial "stuff" came out in the fall of 2005 I just didn't give it much chance of passing congress.  I see from your FAQ dated Nov 2006 that it's still in draft version but it appears several changes have occured from the initial proposal and the draft version (still subject to modification).  I'm glad to see that due to congressional pressure they backed off and changed from mandatory to voluntary "Under our current authorities, USDA could make the NAIS mandatory, but we are choosing not to do so" -quoted from your source. Choosing not to do so is not the same as prohibited from doing so..... Until I place my product (bird,egg,chick) into commercial commerce it is no business of the Government period.  Presumably, the whole purpose of this is to track disease outbreak and provide rapid notification of adjacent farms to contain the outbreak.  I've got news for the USDA....in my neighborhood any disease outbreak in one pasture is spread for miles in a few hours by phone and personal visit/discussion.  I fail to see how their system could operate as fast as what we have.  May not be the case in the rest of the U.S., but here we still stop in the road to talk to neighbors, wave at strangers, lean on the fence and just do what we can to take care of and help each other.

P.S. As to aliens interbreeding with our stock- What "Joe" does on his side of the fence or in the barn is his business but I do make myself available to help move the spaceship to the barn or pull it out of the mud if he needs me.   :angel:

David   
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 10:23:43 PM »

Thanks stewaw!  How do you pull that all off without guidance from the government or special interest group?

Voluntary now..........Mandatory later.   Once they get all the bugs out of the system for animals, they'll be looking to give us humanoids a tracking device too. They already snuck one in while nobody was looking, most people are already carrying one they just don't realize it (cell phones).

stewaw..........."Until I place my product (bird,egg,chick) into commercial commerce it is no business of the Government period. "

........exactly!  I hate to think of what my kids will be dealt in their life.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 10:41:42 PM by trailbossusa » Logged

Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »

From what I can find....the government definition of poultry only includes Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Guinea & Turkey (they are domesticated for food and egg production/consumption).

In most circumstances, the Bobwhite Quail, Ringneck pheasant, Chukar Partridge, etc are still wild species bred and raised to be wild and flighty (not domestically tame) for other purposes than the commercial food market. 

Can't remember the last time I heard of someone going to a put-n-take or taking a trip across country to hunt cornish hens or the butterball turkey.

This said, it must be why the DNR regulates our wildlife species (found in the wild) and not the USDA.  Makes me feel better that they have at least recognized this (for now) and thus I don't feel the NAIS should pertain in these cases.   

Can you imagine the next step.....the mass undertaking of catching, tagging, tracking of all wildlife in the country by DNR.....I'd hate to think they missed one of those songbirds at the backyard feeder that was sick and infested a flock of butterballs during it's winter migration...
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 11:05:41 AM »

s178

Just thought that I would bump up this/these topics for refreshment.

I visited the dairy farm that I used to work on yesterday.  Farmer tells me that this is becoming a mandatory reality. He claims that it supposed to come into effect in 2009. Also claims that the local Livestock sales yard will have to fork out approximately $40,000 to install equipment that will read and record all animals that come through the door. Appoximate cost per cow, not including initial setup to be able to do it is about $20-$30 each.

???    :x      s53   

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 12:53:50 PM »

have not received one either....... :-o

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »

To sum it up I tossed it in the trash can.  I received two more requests after that in the coming months but tossed them as well.  Havent heard anything more in about 6 months.

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »