Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  suggestions on how to get started
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: suggestions on how to get started  (Read 4821 times)
Ranchhand

Personal Text

« on: February 15, 2010, 10:17:47 PM »

I am a ranch manager in south Tx. We usually buy between 2000 and 3000 bobs a year. With birds going for $5.75 around here now and quail farms still running low on birds the owner and I have been talking about building some pens and raising our own. We were thinking about buying chicks and not messing with eggs. Start off trying to raise 1000 or so the first year and move up after that hoping to eventially be self sufficiant. I have seen a few pens but am not sure what we need for 1000 birds going from chick to ready to hunt.  Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:20:00 PM by Ranchhand » Logged
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »

When you start off with your own birds chicks would the easiest way to start off as they are cheaper but they wont lay any eggs till the next summer and wont be ready to hunt from 8 to 10 weeks.

But to be self sufficient would would have to start hatching eggs eventually otherwise you would still end up buying new chicks every year and if you do that it would be more expensive in the long run and cheaper just to buy adults.

As far as pen wise just search the build it yourself there are many different pens in there and the size really depends on personal preference and what you provide for them

i will try later to get some links to some that would work best for you

hope that helps!

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Ranchhand

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

Thank you sir. I'll be looking forward to the links. I was thinking about contacting quail unlimited for some info. We wouldn't mind even paying someone to design and help us jump start our program if need be. Just hard to get any local guys to help. The guy we buy our birds from says "you don't want to raise quail" when I ask questions about it.
jgalo

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 06:50:10 AM »

s016  I'm here in South Texas too.  Started two years ago just releasing birds into the wild trying to get them reestablished.  In with both feet now.  It has been very enjoyable but believe me you will have many setbacks. From power outages to predators.  This site is the best place to get your info and as your knowledge increases you will be able to norrow your searches.  Send me a pm by clicking on my name on the left and I will help you with what I can.
jgalo

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 06:55:49 AM »

Sorry, the pm button is the grey one below my name.
Ranchhand

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »

pm sent (I think)
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »

Thank you sir. I'll be looking forward to the links. I was thinking about contacting quail unlimited for some info. We wouldn't mind even paying someone to design and help us jump start our program if need be. Just hard to get any local guys to help. The guy we buy our birds from says "you don't want to raise quail" when I ask questions about it.
LOL thats funny! The only reason they tell you that is they dont want someone coming into the business that might actually try to run a good business and put all those lazy guys out of business

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 03:02:23 PM »

here are some pens that would probably be best for the amount of birds you are thinking of

some might need to be a bit bigger but the general shape and design is good for that many birds

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=5391.0

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=6035.0

http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?topic=4255.0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:57:36 PM by kingwolf » Logged

Ranchhand

Personal Text

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

Nice talking with you jgalo!

Thanks for the links kingwolf. The second one is what I had in mind for a flight pen. I was thinking about 2 side by side like that with a building for the chicks going across the back of both pens. That way when the first chicks reach 5 weeks I could release them into one of the bigger pens. Then I would have another pen for some late chicks ready to hunt in Jan and Feb. I would also have to figure out where to put a catch pen/box, maybe the opposite side of the pen  dk2. What kind of square footage would I need for 1500 to 2000 chicks at a time? Is it ok to have that many in one group or do they need to be split up any?
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 07:02:06 PM »

The chicks will have to be inside until about five weeks because you will not have a very good survival rate if they are out in the elements without their adult plumage yet

Also another thing i thought about is with that many birds make sure your pen is off the ground so your birds are not as susceptible to disease and parasites

I also added a third link above

backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »

with that many birds  i would go with something like the third one  its off the ground and easy to build  i would also go with hatching your own eggs and get a generator to cover power outages 
Ranchhand

Personal Text

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »

What are the requirements for growing out the chicks? Temp? Highs and lows. Surely you don't keep them on a mesh floor. If you do, maybe hardware cloth dk2
I like the elevated pvc pens. Just gotta figure out how to feed them with out going in the pens. I really want to limit contact (and labor :grin:) as much as possible.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:12:18 PM by Ranchhand » Logged
backcountry
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 01:33:24 AM »

for quail  use 1/2 X1/2 wire
Ranchhand

Personal Text

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »

for quail  use 1/2 X1/2 wire

The 1/2 by 1/2 is fine for the chicks too or is it better the keep them on a solid floor until 5 weeks to better control the temps? I was thinking about a pre manufactured storage shed/office to keep the chicks in. Maybe even put in a small ductless air system to control the temps.

edit.....I have been looking at the pre made brooders on line with a thermastat and heating built in. That is the way I will probalby go. All the ones I found only hold 100 quail till 4 weeks. Anyone know any that will do more? I will probably never mess with buying less than 500 chicks at a time. Also...being in south TX I also have to worry about the heat as well as the cold. At what temp would I need to start cooling bob chicks off at?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:48:30 PM by Ranchhand » Logged
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 10:24:13 PM »

you definitely going to want to keep your chicks on a solid surface until about five weeks of age and you start them off around 99.5* to 90* and decrease the temp ten degrees every week until you are to outside temp so it is not as big of a shock when the go outside 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »