Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Using small game hens to set pheasant eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using small game hens to set pheasant eggs  (Read 2942 times)
countrytweety2001

Personal Text

« on: February 08, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »

I made a bid on some ruffed pheasant eggs. I havent perfected my use of the incubator yet. I had an old timer tell me, that he would use small game hens to hatch out pheasant eggs with and had almost a 100% hatch rate. The incubator I bought to hatch coturnix quail with and I still need to work on my skills. So who else has used small chickens to hatch eggs? s144

Raising Coturnix quail (greys and whites), pheasants (ringnecks, red golden and amherst), austalorps, light bramahs and some mixed. Meat rabbits (california's and silver fox)
DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:43:52 AM »

If i were going to have chickens on the some ground with my game birds they would be Silkies those girls will hatch a golf ball.
Have old timer neighbor using them.
Good luck
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
TENNESSERED

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:21:53 AM »

I also have some silkies.  Every year I let them sit and hatch a clutch of pheasant eggs.  They also make great mothers for their adoptive chicks.  I have had others tell me they use bb red hens and also sebrights, but I 've not tried them.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:17:32 PM »

i have use regular sized fowl to hatch chukar eggs and of course some of the eggs got crushed because of their larger size but the eggs that did survive all hatched and i still have them to this day

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »