Raising Gamebirds > Build It Yourself

Flight Pen for chukars...

(1/3) > >>

AnnabellaGamebirds:
Enjoy reading all the posts on this forum. Some really great stuff and some neat people. I have 500 chukar chicks coming in mid-may. Need ideas for building a flight pen in one end of my barn. Started clearing things out the other day. The area is about 28X36 with 10' of height and I am hoping it is big enough. I will be selling the Chukar in the fall to a Pheasant Hunting Farm down the road. Hoping to breed and hatch my own next year. Just wondered about a few things like - are pine shavings ok for the floor? Currently it is a concrete floor. Any pointers would be great as I am starting this project from scratch in my 48x100 foot barn (Used to be a commercial Turkey operation).

This is the North Side and will connect to the two adjoining brooder rooms.

This is the South facing part with the windows for natural light and air.

I'm really interested in the "if I could start over again" type of comments from the experienced breeders.

jk:
That will not be big enough for 500 chukar all at once until the end of fall... that is quite a bit of room, but not near big enough for the number you stated. The math works out to around 2 sq. ft. per bird. I can guarantee if you keep 500 in there until they are nearly full size, then you will have a LOT LOT LOT more problems (cannibalism, pecking to death, etc.) than if you cut that number down to 100 (which is what I would keep in there at adult size if I were raising them for the stated length of time). That would work out to around 10 sq. ft. per bird, which is okay.

Just my opinion on this...

CharlieHorse:
I wouldn't use pine shavings for any stage of their life. As stated on another thread..........the birds will ingest them and they tend to collect to their feet with the manure.   

If that is a concrete floor?, I'm not sure what you would use if anything.....maybe sand? Others with more experience with birds on concrete will hopefully chime in and give you some ideas. Most are raised on wire or bare ground.

jchiar:
use that enclosure as a shelter and add a flight pen made of wire and netting to the barn. To many birds to be on a concrete floor.

jk:

--- Quote ---use that enclosure as a shelter and add a flight pen made of wire and netting to the barn.
--- End quote ---

That sounds like a good idea...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version