Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:57:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Recall Quail to Johnny House????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recall Quail to Johnny House????  (Read 3851 times)
Vizsla-newbie
« on: April 26, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »

If I take my birds out back of my house into a field. Lets say it's about a 1/4 mile, at the absolute most, away from my Johnny house will the males still call in the birds from that distance. I guess my question should really be, how far can the birds be planted from their pen and still be called back in.

By the way this is a great site. I've been trolling it looking for advice on a few things since I'm new to owning a bird dog and finally decided to start asking some of my own questions. Great place
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 01:10:37 PM by Vizsla-newbie » Logged
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 10:35:58 AM »

Sorry, I thought I replied to your question several days ago.  I just noticed it, again, lying here all alone!  1/4 mile is probably about the maximum distance for good results.   They will call back farther, but farther distances mean more danger.  Also, if you plant/release a bird 1/4 mile out, and the land 100 yards farther from the Johnny house is better habitat than you have, guess where the birds will go?

What is the total size of the "huntable part" of your field?  You will probably want the Johnny house near the middle, but there are other considerations.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »