Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Winter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter?  (Read 7596 times)
Gunny

Personal Text

« on: June 20, 2010, 12:58:18 AM »

Hello,
     I am attempting to understand the whole quail hobby.  I have posted on the net in the Michigan portion with no feedback.  I have a 6x15 outdoor pen with access to indoor coop.  This outdoor pen has a roof + 6' netting as to not allow birds to break their necks with flight.  I need to know how winters effect birds health and well being in an outdoor pen.  Any information will help greatly.  I am going to raise Bobwhite Quail and expect to have at least 12-15 inside outdoor pen with breeder boxes and plenty of hiding places.  The 12-15 will be housed inside a 200 sq. ft. pen and would enjoy these birds in there natural habitat.  I do not have the birds now but expect to get them in the spring.  I am still reading plenty of information so as to not fail.  Any feedback will be a huge help.

Thanks Gunny
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 12:24:01 AM »

They are pretty tough. Mine winter well in Ohio, there are several members here who raise BW's in Michigan. My experience is that they won't use shelters, they'd rather hang out in the snow, although they do need to be provided a shelter/roof as they will get in/under it in extreme weather conditions. They also need to be able to form a covey for warmth.  JFI....200sq ft is far from a natural habitat for 10-20 BW's, it will be bare dirt and manure in no time flat.

s016

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 03:56:25 PM »

Thanks CharlieHorse,
     Well because of the compairable winter weather in Ohio I think they should be O.K..  The pen I am building also has a hard roof and the netting is below that to stop birds from breaking their necks.  Yes, I understand about natural habitat and the size difference but I guess what I ment is native plants growing inside the pen along with natural perches such as branches and tree logs.  This floor is going to be sand to provide proper drainage as well as a earthworm guard.  Easiest way to clean a ground floor pen?
Thanks again
Gunny

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:14 PM »

Easiest way to clean a ground floor pen?

Never had to do it , but if it were me, I'd move the birds and floor "furnitures" and roto till it.
Maybe till in lime if it is suspect ?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »

agd2

I always turned my ground over with a shovel about every 30-45 days. I had my pen split into 2 sections so I could do "rotational grazing".........letting one side rest/recoup for 3-4 weeks or so and then switch sides.

If you can build yourself 3 acre avaries like the ones "Reeves" has it's not really a problem.         mkey1

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »

Thanks everyone,
     This is a great help to me and I am continuing to gain more knowledge prior to getting my first BW quail.  I too am going to have 2 sections to help in some of the ground cover to heal.  The lime idea, that is to kill unwanted pests and disease?  Time needed for safe return of birds?  Sorry so many questions, just want to cover all the bases.  Oh, yes I saw pictures of Reeves GIANT pens.  Great job, but I have limited space as I own a construction company and need to store alot of equipment.  Maybe some day.
Thanks again to all who respond!  Great help.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »

The lime idea, that is to kill unwanted pests and disease?

As far as I know, yes. I've seen it in a few places, read about it on this and other forums. But have never used it.
If memory serves, it may be a specfic type of lime ?

Oh, yes I saw pictures of Reeves GIANT pens.

I have a couple bigger ones in planning stage  s020
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 08:04:30 AM »

I just did a quick search for lime and lots of info came up. I didn't read it all.....maybe try it and see what you find and if it may work for you ?
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »

Thanks Reeves,
     I will research that and hope to find some results.  The only worry is that lime is a corrosive material that may cause harm to the birds health.  Don't want that!  BIGGER pens in the works?  My god are you going to have the birds imported and install a runway to deliver them.  Thanks again.  Oh, by the way, just because you are in the answering mood, hope that doesn't change.  What the heck is Karma posted next to all members names?  Just wondered.  Thanks Gunny.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 09:03:15 PM »

The karma thing was talked about lots. Try the search.

Basicly, ignore it. It's too easy for people to mess with.
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 01:17:01 AM »

Thanks,
     I will try the search option.  Have not tried it yet.

Gunny
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 01:33:32 AM »

Alright Reeves,
     This has nothing to do with Brooding and Raising but yes you are correct about the Karma thing.  Ignoring it, I think this site is better off without it and just have the experts answer questions that beginers need the answers to.  Thanks again!
Gunny
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 01:01:11 PM »

Gunny,

Bobwhite's will do just fine in Michigan winters. As a matter of fact, all of my birds are in outdoor pens their entire lives after the first 6 weeks in the brooder. All of my layer pens are outdoors with shingled roofs and wire sides/bottoms. The ends are enclosed for a windbreak, but the pretty much hang out in the front looking out into the world. My flight pens have tarps over the top to keep from getting high accumulations of snow. But they also have wire bottoms and a wind break on one end. I have never had a problem with healthy birds succumbing to our Michigan winter weather.

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
Gunny

Personal Text

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 05:08:13 PM »

Thanks Chris,
    My outdoor pens are going to be roofed as well but with metal roofing.  Should I block the sides with plywood upon construction or just use temps to be removed after winter and keep screen for air flow?  My outdoor pen will also, as I said earlier, will have access to indoor pen through a small pet door that can be locked open with using a piece of wire to prop open.  This forum is great and I appreciate all the answers.  Don't want to screw up when I get home from Alaska and introduce birds into a bad situation.  Indoor pen is already built and outdoor pen will be done in late August.  Just need to make up my mind on getting birds this year or next spring.

Thanks Gunny
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

when I get home from Alaska

I was Hyderized in 79  s020
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »