Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:50:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Recommended Pheasant pin size (?)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Recommended Pheasant pin size (?)  (Read 3154 times)
DDWBeagles
« on: May 14, 2004, 07:13:10 PM »

I have just ordered 12 four week old ringneck pheasants and was wondering what is the ideal sq/ft per ADULT bird for their pin?  Also, I have found some stainless steel 2x2 fencing here locally and was wondering if that was small enough to prevent escape?  The 2x2 is square, not like the hexagon poultry wire.   Final question, do any of you guys use coups for the bird to roost in overnight or do they sleep on the ground?   I was kinda thinking about building a small/secure chicken type coup, but have no experience with pheasants and wonder if they would even use it.  Thanks

David Williams
VA
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 07:37:58 PM »

Read this, it may help ?

http://www.shaywood.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=229
wirenut

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 12:03:20 AM »

David,
15 to 20 sq. feet per bird is fine with around 6 to 8 foot high ceilings. The coop is for them to get out of bad weather. I have cut up pine tree logs in their pens for them to get on and they scratch at them to. Also I cut them new pine tree limbs about once a month to get on and hide in. Alot of times when it rains they still just lay out on the ground in it. I took a chicken pen and divided it in two and made my breeder pens out of that and they are doing great. 2x2 is fine after they get about 8 weeks they shouldn't get threw it. The birds you are getting (lol) we have not dicided which are males or females. We are going to try that and give you a # of each and you can tell us what it worked out to be.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »