Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Head Sores
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Head Sores  (Read 6672 times)
greatxtc04
« on: May 14, 2004, 10:02:32 AM »

How do I stop my quails from pecking each others head. They make awful sores. PLEASE HELP!! Take any info. Thanks.
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 12:21:30 PM »

pecking can be caused by overcrowding...try a red light and give them more room, that's a usual remedy.
greatxtc04
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 03:09:41 PM »

Thanks Dog, These are grown quails (hens). Do they still need a red light?
Sterling-Ranch

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 03:15:43 PM »

If they're full grown I'd say they are overcrowded.
britguy33
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 12:04:19 AM »

I am still new to this bird raising stuff. So this is not an expert opinion just an observation.This was a pen with all males. We had a dominant male pecking all the birds in his pen. 6ftx3ftx3ft tall. There are 6 birds in there plenty of space. Just find the bird or birds without pecking marks and put them in a seperate pen. This may work, or may not. Worked for us. I put the dominate male in a pen with 4 hens and he only pecked 1 and that stopped in a couple days. Guess he figured out he needed to be sweeter to her so she would repay the favor. (nudge, wink,)

Mabey you have some dominant hens who just need a loving male in their lives?

Some one on this site said to use raw bacon, just throw it in the pen every couple of days. Don't quote me on this though. I have never needed to try this just passing along what another person said.
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 08:18:49 AM »

De beaking helps that, cause their beaks are sort of sore??? I also give ours carrots and apples stuff they can peck at. They love carrots and greens, lettuce, broccoli etc.  I think it is over crowding somewhat but they will peck just out of spite it seems.

Five Hollers Quail Farm
greatxtc04
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 08:59:08 AM »

Thanks for the info, I'm ready to try anything. They are getting better, but I want to prevent it from happening again. I will try it.  Thanks. :)
duck nutt
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 10:44:34 AM »

i had a problem with mine once....i de-beaked them and started putting the leftover cucumbers from the garden in the pen...just cut them in half longways ....I'm not saying cucumbers will stop them from pecking eachother...it just gives them something to do....but they did seem to love the cucs!
greatxtc04
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2004, 04:09:42 PM »

Thanks, I gave them an apple, that seems to help, for now that is. I will try the cuc. though. thanks.
BEDPAN

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 08:40:28 PM »

Everyone seems to have some great answers...you do have to try everything.  Here is something else you can do to divert their attention for a short while.  I like to put a semi-decomposed piece of tree in the pen for them to peck at.  They find bugs and who knows what else is in those logs.  We also look for the ones that are not pecked and debeak them as well.  Go around your yard and pull up those dandilions and give them to your birds.  They love the greens and it is also an excellent source of vitamins and protien.  You may even see an increase in egg production and fertility.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »