Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:18:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Best Quail to raise for eating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Quail to raise for eating  (Read 23199 times)
Kreed37

« on: April 02, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »

I was just wondering what type of quail is the best all round bird to raise for its meat? Between the A&M coturnix and the brown cortunix which taste the best? I have heard that the A&M has a more white type meat.  I know that the bobwhite has excellent meat, but are they harder to raise? Thanks for any help.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:05:43 PM »

Bobwhites tastes the best in my opinion.(matures @ 16 weeks)

If you want fast growing however, go with the Coturnix varients.(matures @ 8 weeks)
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »

Forgot to say, no BW's are not harder to raise.
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 06:38:26 PM »

Bob's taste the best
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »

Butler Bobwhites..at 8 weeks they are as large as a regular Bobwhite at 16 weeks...and o` so tender...smoother them in gravy make some corn bread and cook some purple hull peas slice some fresh tomotoes and a glass of ice tea...now you just cant beat that...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Kreed37

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 09:16:43 AM »

Is there any difference in taste between the A&M  and the brown coturnix?
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »

None that I can  tell they just hav white feathers...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
frank_lap_127
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »

Just a little thing to make them taste better, give them many fruits (many wild berries if possible) and wild seeds, i do this with mine and they taste something near grouse, but not as good 
c110       a31
greyghost
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 12:39:05 AM »

A friend of mine hunts in California where the Grouse feed on Sage that grows in the hills. If you grow sage consider feeding it to your birds for a pre-seasoned bird.
TLsgamebirdfarm
Expert Member

Butlers, ten. reds, Tx A&M, jumbo brown coturnix

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »

Hello All, I prefer the jumbo coturnix over bobs ANY DAY. I won't eat a bob white anymore since I got excellent batch of both the XLD1's (jumbo browns), and the Texas A&M's. I've got HUGE birds and they are so tender even when I cull off my breeder stock at 6 months old. I can't keep a coturnix long enuff to be able for me or dad to eat them as we've got to build up our stock cuz there's so much demand for my birds here everyone wants them by the 100. They go for $3.50 compared to $4.50 for the northerns and I'm waiting so IMPATIENTLY to have some to grill. I just put lawry's season salt & black pepper on them and grill away.Thanks, and GOD BLESS, Tommy
frank_lap_127
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:46 PM »

Personnally, Bobwhite Quails are more tender and a bit bigger, the only ''problems'' is housing (as they fly really well compared to Coturnix) and the time before butchering. I really like both birds. Personnally I'll begin to raise my own Coturnix for food this year, the years before it was more for fun (like 30 quails). I'm not against meat eating but biologic animals cost to high here and mass production birds don't have a great life so even if I never like butchering, I prefer to raise my own birds and have respect for those animals.

It only depends on what you prefer, if you feed your Coturnix and Bobwhite the same, they will taste the same.

Have a nice snack  a44

Frank
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »

Bobwhite Quails are more tender and a bit bigger

s20

:angel:
frank_lap_127
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 03:44:56 PM »

Well maybe it depends on the bloodlines but my normal bobwhite are a bit bigger than Coturnix and the feeling of the meat in the mouth is a bit better when cooked in the same time... It's a personnal opinion...

Frank
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »