Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:24:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Bobs in... Freaking out...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bobs in... Freaking out...  (Read 4950 times)
chewchew
Expert Member

« on: August 10, 2007, 12:47:54 AM »

I need a little help... I read posts on this form all the time... But I’m still unsure of some things. Mostly in temp, and humidity! I’m running a little giant 9200 still air with fan kit, and turner. I have a D.R.O thermometer, and humidity reader made by zilla (Used for pet snakes ex.) I have my incubator, or I think I do, at 99.5F and trying to keep the humidity at 55%. I had it run for about 4 days before I put 50 bobs in. I thing it is at 99.5F/ 55% about 75-80% of the time. But the temp is all over the place at times... The lowest it has been was about 96.8F and 47% (I left the hose for about 3 hours, I s good when I left when I came back it was at 96.8 and 47%) and the highest being 103F 65 %( when I came home from work around 8:00pm)... Is that going to have an out come on the hatch?? I don’t know rang of temps Eggs can under go... Can some one make things a little clear for me??
Thanks
Sam
 :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:02:11 AM by chewchew » Logged

My Mom Is Going To Kill Me.. lol
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 12:49:12 AM »

i only put the eggs in on 8/9/07

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:21:52 AM »

Not much you could do besides keeping the incubator in a room with the most stable temp and monitor it the best you can. I don't know the dangerous temp ranges either but when I used to use a homemade incubator, I have seen some temps more extreme then yours and still had hatches. It was fun monitoring temp when I first started out..but i soon got tired of it really fast. hheheh Now Im using an electric thermostat model.

Just try to keep it at 99.5 as best you can for best results. good luck!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:24:05 AM by aKirA » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 04:25:36 AM »

either the waffer is lose or defective. Replace it and see what happens.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
SportDog

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »

I use the exact model and it hold temps very well. 
Do you have both red plugs in or out?
How many resevoirs do you have filled?
Are you incubating in a controlled Temp enviornment?

You will be able to candle them in a few days and see developement if all is well.  Be patient but you probably should get this temp thing under control now. 
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:20:23 PM »

i have 1 red plug out at this time. the room is not a "controlled" environment.. its my bed room.. its not by a window..but the room is on the 2nd floor and can get a little hot. i filled all the reservoirs. last night it stayed at 99.8 with 63%... I'm getting there.. less water I'm thinking.. and what is a waffer??

chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 01:02:21 AM »

it has been 14 days of incubation. when do i up the humidity and how much (last 3 days? and around 75%??) ... when do i pull out the turner..(last 3 days?) and also do i hand turn them then or just let the be?
thanks a mill.
sam

sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 01:10:40 AM »

take the turner out on day 21 and turn the humidity up to around 75% and you should see pipping on day 23. leave the eggs set and try not to open the incubator up at all if you have to open it up just mist the eggs with water to keep humidity up.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:14:40 AM by sugar run gamebirds » Logged

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 01:23:50 AM »

Remove from turner on day "20". I usually try to go with exact time they where set, just not the day....example:  1800hrs (6:00pm) or whatever. No need to turn after that (whole point of removing from turner).

Some places (net sites) state 23 days, some 24.  Hatches will happen over a couple of days, but the majority will happen at once....around 23 days, give or take.

The "red plug" you speak of depends on which red plug you are talking about. The one directly over the fan will allow more in to the system (lowering humidity/temp and increasing fresh air), simply because of the direct connection to the fan itself. The other one will have a different reaction to the system. Physics play into the incubation process alot. Depending on your location (enviroment), ambient temperature and humidity will have a direct effect on your incubator readings. Therefore, it is difficult for anyone to give you an answer as to what to do for sure.  There are many enviromental variables in which one as to adjust their incubator atmosphere too, in which is why there are "adjustments" on each and every incubator.  Hope things go well, trial and errror is usually how it happens, take notes (inside/outside temps..inside/outside humidity, etc.) for the next time and things will be easier.

GFI:   The "wafer" thermostat is a gas filled chamber that expands or contracts with the temperature and pushes on a switch and can go bad and need replacing. You may not have this type of switch in your incubator and is controlled electronically (computerized). The wafer thermostat is about a 2 1/2"- 3" copper/brass disc, in which you would know that you had, if you had one. Although the "electronic" thermostats can go bad too. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 12:17:40 AM by trailbossusa » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 11:40:15 PM »

thank you, thank you ,thank you!! =))
thank you,
sam

WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 12:11:28 AM »

let us know how it turns out.
chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 05:37:54 PM »

so far 2!!! on day 22. i hope more to come!!
sam

Quailer

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 01:28:32 AM »

How many do you have now?  I hope it was a successful hatch for you!!

chewchew
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 08:57:10 PM »

i have 44!!! for the 1st time i thinks thats good!!! 44 out 0f 50! i will keep the good news coming!
thank you all!!!!!!!
SAM

WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »

Great hatch! With the conditions you had faced count yourself as a job well done.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »