Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:41:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  cleaning incubator
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: cleaning incubator  (Read 5639 times)
PSUQuailer

« on: June 02, 2006, 09:02:38 PM »

I just got done with my first batch of quail eggs and wanted to incubate another batch.  What part water and what part bleach should i use.
                   Ryan S.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:23:24 AM »

Ryan  I use a 50% water and a 50% bleach mixture   and spray the entire incubator down with it,but watch the electronics try and avoid spraying them, Good luck
Scot
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »

A good idea would be to cover the electronics with plastic while spraying so you don't have to worry so much when spraying.

mike
Babs_MN
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 11:49:25 AM »

And then use a vaccum hose to suck out the fluff and debri from the fan parts.
I seem to collect stuff in there for some reason.. ?
Also if your using a cabinet inc, go ahead and unscrew the back to clean from both sides. It makes the job so much easier and faster.

Babs
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 12:30:36 PM »

I just got done with my first batch of quail eggs and wanted to incubate another batch.  What part water and what part bleach should i use.
                   Ryan S.

If you have had no egg explosions/leakage, and you do not use the incubator as your hatcher/hatchery then there is really no reason to clean/bleach the incubator. The only item in the incubator to cleaned, would be the water tray for the humidity.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
PSUQuailer

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »

Thanks everyone.
          Ryan S.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »

I am cleaning mine now as we speak. and i do have to clean them because they are dirty because of the broken egg shells  Oh yea  I'm using the hova-bators  Incubators .and i have eggs that need to be set tonight.
Scot
JohnInDixon
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 01:04:55 PM »

Gentle Warning!  Be careful using a vacuum cleaner close to fans.  Many have bearings designed to spin at a certain RPM and if you're like me, you like to hear them Whirr up when you get the vacuum close.  If you exceed the speed they're designed for, you'll damage the bearings and could destroy your fan or at best, make them rumble until they do break down.  Hold the blade steady while vacuuming to stop the blade from spinning.

That's all I know about that..."

John
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 09:56:31 AM »

mine is really gonna need a cleaning when this hatc is done.

mike
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 10:41:42 AM »

when I clean my hatcher should I just clean the bottom since that is the only part that got dirty? Should I clean it before the next batch is due to hatch? I am still hatching out quail and I have pheasants due to hatch wednesday should I clean it out tomorrow night? then after the pheasants hatch so the chickens can hatch in a clean bator?

mike
woodenegg
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »

This is a dilemma we all face from time to time.  With one hatcher and several small batches of eggs, when do you clean?  I have taken eggs in the hatcher, when no one is pipping and placed them on a towel (paper or cloth), put the top over them for warmth, and cleaned the bottom and screen.  When you do this, only use a mild detergent and a spray disinfectant with no bleach.  I let the disinfectant sit for 5 minutes and then rinse well.  The whole thing takes about 10 minutes and the next batch gets a clean hatcher.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »

would a bathroom cleaner be too harsh?

mike
Babs_MN
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 12:35:40 PM »

It might. I suppose you can always try it and be sure to let it rinse and dry really really well. If you had something creepy go through your inc I can see where something harsh might be a good idea.

I washed mine down with antibacterial handsoap, and that seems to have been good enough.
The trays I just tossed in the dishwasher. ;)

We try to be fairly natural (non certified organic) here, so I frown on heavy chem cleaners.

Babs
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 06:34:28 PM »

I cleaned out the bottom of the hatcher about 20 minutes ago. I got it all back together and the eggs back in the hatcher. I just looked at the eggs and saw one wiggling, after a closer look i said "damnit", there was a coturnix egg hatching. I then told the old lady and I said "Ijust cleaned this damn thing", lol. I will probably clean it again later because I just realized I have to put 40 chicken eggs in the hatcher tonight.

mike
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 10:33:28 PM »

When I clean mine, I always used a bleach/water mixture, no specific ratio, although I don't know that it was as strong as 50/50. I used a spray bottle, let set for a short period and then rinsed really good with fresh water, then set out in the sun to dry. Be sure to get all the bleach solution rinsed off and protect the electrical controls, etc. from getting wet.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »