Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:24:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  where is up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: where is up?  (Read 2632 times)
beanfarmer
« on: July 25, 2005, 07:31:16 PM »

I am a newb.  I know I am supposed to turn eggs, but don't know if it makes any difference how they lay when I turn them.  Is it ok to put them on there sides and tip the incubator to roll them a few inches?  How does an egg turner work?  If  I need to use a spatula to turn them, does that mean my temp is too high?  (just kidding)

eggs are coming in a few days.  30 pharoh quail, some pheasents and chiickens.  I was sorely tempted to get the osterige eggs on ebay, but being new to it, thought I should start small.  Quail are small and not as likely to disembowel me when they kick. 
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 09:04:05 PM »

When you turn your eggs by hand pretty much the only way for them to lay is on their side.  Mark an "X" on one side of the egg so you know which way to turn them.  Rolling them by tilting the incubator might create a bigger problem by having them hit each other.  You might not see it but they might crack slightly and definately be disastrous later on by either exploding on you on leaking out and smelling up your entire incubator.  The bacteria can be harmful to your other chicks.  Turn your eggs 3 times a day (minimum) and every other turn you should have the "x" side back up again.  For a few eggs that would be the best way in my opinion.  A lazy way can be to use the palm of your hand and roll them around.  I would do that over tilting the incubator.  By Turning them with the palm of your hand you are risking not turning all the eggs.  Also keep in mind that all the eggs you mentioned have different hatch times.  An automatic turner will hold 120 eggs and it turns 7 times a day I believe.  Not sure what part of the country youre in but be sure to watch your humidity.  We hit over 100 today and its dry.  Your incubator may need more water than average. 

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
beanfarmer
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 11:29:04 PM »

thanks

I am in minnesnowda, where it generally runs 80 to 90 % rh.  (relative humidity)
so I don't think I will have a problem with that.  I know that if you go up in temp the rh  will drop but a cup of water in the incubator should cover that.  I have a little giant incuabator which I have heard has problems keeping even temp but all I do is watch tv all day so I can watch temp every now and then.  The incubator has a quarter inch wire mesh.  Can I put the eggs on that that or does it need something softer. 
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 10:13:26 PM »

Place your eggs directly on the wire unless you use an automatic turner.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »