Raising Gamebirds > Brooding and Raising

Mountain quail laying eggs in january.

(1/1)

Brenda:
 hlp2 I have a red heat lamp and a 40 watt regular light bulb in quail house. Have had for 2 months. Have had pretty cold Winter temps, then warms up to 40-50 degrees, and jumps back and forth. I just discovered yesterday that my mountain quail hen has laid 10 eggs. Is this due to the warmer weather periods and the light inside the house? They come in and out all day. She is not setting, I removed the eggs yesterday when I found the nest, and turned off the light bulb, not the heat light though.  Not really wanting to deal with incubating them in Jan, but again, hate to just toss the eggs.
I am concerned that she will not lay again in Spring. Any thoughts please? Thank you!

Pheasant Hollow Farm:

--- Quote from: Brenda on January 19, 2014, 02:04:19 PM --- hlp2 I have a red heat lamp and a 40 watt regular light bulb in quail house. Have had for 2 months. Have had pretty cold Winter temps, then warms up to 40-50 degrees, and jumps back and forth. I just discovered yesterday that my mountain quail hen has laid 10 eggs. Is this due to the warmer weather periods and the light inside the house? They come in and out all day. She is not setting, I removed the eggs yesterday when I found the nest, and turned off the light bulb, not the heat light though.  Not really wanting to deal with incubating them in Jan, but again, hate to just toss the eggs.
I am concerned that she will not lay again in Spring. Any thoughts please? Thank you!

--- End quote ---

By added the 40 watt regular light bulb in quail house you have extended the day light hrs. This will encourage the bird to lay. Turning off the light will confuse the bird and she will stop. She will start again to lay when the day light hrs become normal in your area.

If you don't want to incubate the eggs, eat them.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Brenda:
Thanks for the reply, light is off.

slider:
If you do not want the eggs I will take them...How many do you have????

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version