Raising Gamebirds > Brooding and Raising

broody pheasants?

(1/3) > >>

birdlover:
hi,

would it be possible for a pheasant hen to set and hatch a clutch of eggs in capitivty?  If so, what can i do to stimulate her to do this?

Britton Howe:
yes they will I had one last year and 3 of them a year before as far as getting them to do it. don't have a idea on that

Reeves:
First off, do you have only one pair in the pen ? If she hatched any & you have more than a pair, it is likely the adults will kill the chicks. Is your pen set up to hold chicks ? They'll walk through 1" wire like it isn't there.
Does the hen have a good place to hide a nest of eggs ? When/if she does start a nest, you must leave it alone. When/if she goes broody, you must leave her alone , no peaking. Takes very little for them to quit. Some Pheasant hens will not sit for the time needed. They'll start , then quit after a few days or a week.....
Lots can go wrong with letting Pheasants hatch their own. That is why most do it with incubators.
Another thing. Do you have an empty pen to put any of the extra birds in ?

birdlover:
hi,
 yes, i do have only one pair in the pen. No, she hasn't hatched any eggs so far.  The nest is in the corner of a pen that has bricks surrounded around the nest, i could make the nest darker if its recommended. Are you suppose to take the eggs out if you want the hen to sit on them, when she lays them?

Thanks

Reeves:

--- Quote ---Are you suppose to take the eggs out if you want the hen to sit on them, when she lays them?
--- End quote ---

No.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version