Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  opening up new gamebird business
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: opening up new gamebird business  (Read 11305 times)
sugar run gamebirds

« on: May 24, 2007, 10:01:08 PM »

hi everyone we are opening up a new gamebird business in sw pennsylvania. we are located in 84 pa.between pittsburgh and washington.we will be having ring necks,bobwhites and tennesse reds.

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:39 PM »

Best of luck to ya
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 07:00:27 PM »

thank you whitneyplu we are busier then we thought we would be. we have been selling birds like crazy so far.it kind of helps to know all the guys in every dog club for at least a 100 mile radius and our convenient location. we thank god for our good fortune to be doing as well as were are.just hope it keeps going.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
PAcortunix

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:51:38 PM »

Good Luck! From one PA gamebirder to another! I'm in central PA though. Owell still neighbors in some sense!
lol
 :angel:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:31:48 AM »

well thanks neighbor. good luck to you to!

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »

hi everyone we are opening up a new gamebird business in sw pennsylvania. we are located in 84 pa.between pittsburgh and washington.we will be having ring necks,bobwhites and tennesse reds.

sugar run gamebirds,

I wish you all the luck in the world. As you know, luck has nothing to do with the raising and selling of game birds, whether it is for profit or as a hobby. Just make sure, as they say, you have all your ducks in a row.

This is not something that can be done without some sort of capital, equity or disposal income.

The amount of money that it takes for you build your pens and brooders will not be seen as return for a least 5 years. Equipment purchased will also have to be deducted along with any cost associated with the initial capital setup over so many years.

Location and economy play a major role in this business. Advertisements, sales agreements are a must. Word of mouth is good for they small business. The clients that you have this year may not be around next year. By this I mean either the local small shooting preserves, going bust, or the local hunting clubs deciding to raising their own birds, or getting them cheaper. Let’s not forget the local guide/outfitters that buy the birds from you for either shoot to retrieve or dog trials. Most of them are also a fly-by-night operations that last one or two years.

You may acquire some local farmers looking to propagate their farm lands or the local yokel and his buddies looking for birds to release on their farm or someone else’s property that they have permission to hunt on but, will they be there next year? I would say 50/50 chance, along with the farmer looking to propagate his land. Why?, the farmer didn’t see any return on his investment in propagation, and the hunters didn’t see the return on the birds they released and shot at for the price per bird.

Don’t forget the ever increasing cost of feed/medication, water, electric and repairs associated with this business. Trying to recoup the cost associated to price increases does not fare well with the people looking to purchase birds. What you may have gotten per bird last year either as a single or in quantity will not be taken lightly from the little guy next year. I don’t care if it is a $.25 increase per bird, they will still complain and either pay the difference, or go elsewhere.

If you have a few established shooting preserve that have been around more then 5 years, then you have a better shot of keeping then as a client. Just remember, they shop around for the cheapest price as well. Those shooting preserves that have been around less then 3 years never make it. Why, their cost factor. Their prices are too high to compensate for your increases.

Another risk factor to consider, what about the birds that are left over? The birds that are left over from last years stock will be going on at least 1 year old. Do you sell the one year olds at the same price as the birds that were hatched this year? If you do, what about the cost factor involved in feeding last years birds as hold over compared to this years hatching?  What about the client wanting the older birds being bigger then the 20-30 week old birds at the same price?

Just some food for thought, I am not looking to discourage you just be aware that this is not the type of industry that you are going to get rich in especially if you are going to be a one man operation.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 06:37:17 PM »

thanks for the advise Steve.this is something that has been 3 years in the making.i have planned thought and rechecked everything i could.i have raised birds as a hobby for training my dogs for sometime.we live in a great area here for bird demand.i belong to akc clubs and navhda.so we supply them with birds for tests and club training.here in swpa we have alot of guys and ladies who train their own dogs and they keep me busy.i have bird contracts with 3 different dog trainers who have been training dogs for 20 plus years.we have several hunting preserves here who strive from sept to April.so i have contracts in place already.we are in the tristate area so i have guys from Ohio,WV and pa buying birds.and yes we have went through some hard times this year between coons and avian predator,feed prices and some bad weather bad luck.but overall i am very pleased with the business.i think it is all about our homework we did, people we talked to who committed to us this year with blind faith for suppling them birds.but again thanks for the advise there are some other points in there that i will look into more.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

alexanderpeafowl
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 11:03:44 PM »

WOW, We opened up our own business also in north central PA also....
maplesummitgamebirds

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:01:54 PM »

Welcome to another PA game bird farmer. I am in north/north east PA, just north of Williamsport. There has been some good advise given so far, just do your thing and cover your butt and you will be ok. Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you out.

Bryan

Maple Summit Game Birds

Mongolian & Blue Back Pheasants, Quail, Chucker
alexanderpeafowl
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 10:51:20 PM »

How far north of Williamsport are you? I am also north of Williamsport...
maplesummitgamebirds

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:30:40 AM »

I'm about 30-45 mins north of Williamsport, about 7 miles from Canton near the tiny town of Shunk. I also have some pens in the Ralston area on Rt. 14. Where are you located?

Mongolian & Blue Back Pheasants, Quail, Chucker
hoofster

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 10:36:30 PM »

Lenny,
Good luck, we need more people like you.Your not that far away from me and I travel through your area 4-5 times a year,so hope to see ya soon.Will get back to ya with those pics as soon as I get them.
                                                                                                    Dave

Hoofster
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

Lot of good advice here, me, I been watching this from aside for more then a half century, I still like it best as a hobby, another view, I think its a business for a much younger person, one who likes 16 hr days.  The old saw applys, " its a great way to make a small fortune, if you start with a large one".

Nuff, good luck to you all, you are filling a real need, I wish you all could be remunerated much more.

Enjoy, and do well.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »

Well our first year went excellent.we blew by our first year exceptions and we are already in full force for the spring.other then a few weasels that invaded the quail house c110 no major issues.we are adding another 12000 sq ft of pheasant pens.2 new quail runs and a new chukar run. we are in the process of getting npip certified.have another account in WV for 6000 birds this fall.going to poultry technician class so i can draw my own blood. but things are going great.we added 3 new incubators for the spring.things never seem to calm down around here.we have quail eggs in the incubator right now so we have mature birds for spring.several hunting clubs,preserves and bird dog owners have entrusted us to supply them with all their bird needs and we thank them everyday for making our business grow.we have added the chukar,cortunix quail,red golden pheasants,and Georgia giant quail this year.Tennessee red quail were a very big seller this year for us.but with the help from a local breeder here who is retiring he has helped us alot with his years of knowledge and contacts we Have learned alot in making our little venture grow huge.this year we are looking at raising about 20,000 birds which probally is not going to be enough s85 but we keep our fingers crossed here that our business continues to grow.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 03:20:41 AM »

Lenny,  So glad things are going great.  We are doing pretty good out here in CA.  Hope next season goes as good for you as last.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »