Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:50:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Your Ideal Game Bird? Defining Characteristics
« previous next »
Poll
Question: What type of upland game bird hunting do you prefer?
Ruffed grouse in heavy cover - 6 (37.5%)
Bobwhite quail in mixed cover - 8 (50%)
Ringneck pheasant open cover - 0 (0%)
Other - 2 (12.5%)
Total Members Voted: 14

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Ideal Game Bird? Defining Characteristics  (Read 4185 times)
tpcrjf

« on: August 08, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »

Hello all, I am just wondering what you all consider the main characteristics that you all look for in a game bird and the reasonings. Flight distance? Flight pattern? Flight speed and power? Size of the bird? Quality of meat? Birds that will freeze in position allowing for close flush? Or birds that flush from further? Do most of you prefer hunting birds in fields and more open areas or more wooded areas? I do quite a bit of upland hunting in Vermont and generally prefer the close range, fast moving, erratic flight of woodcock and grouse in heavy cover.

Basically if you had to design a game bird on paper what would it look and act like? Just curious.

Tom
AA Plantation
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »

WILD
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 12:43:32 AM »

thick cover grouse and woodcock doesn't get any better.

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »

WILD

Or Wilder.

Assuming you mean over pointing dogs, Greater Prairie Chickens.

Their cousins, the Ruffed grouse require the same dog work, but less range (a dog with a great nose, that locks up at first scent).  The timber grouse actually tend to hold a little longer, for an experienced dog.  Prairie hunting, for any of the three pasture grouse, provides a wonderful opportunity to watch dogs work large hillsides, and evaluate their style.  All three are delicious, which is a plus.

Wild Bobwhites offer a chance for lots of dog work, if numbers are decent, and a frosty covey rise is more exciting than most women.

Pheasant are great fun over flushing dogs, or the best pointing dog you've ever owned, if you stick to cold days, or deep, narrow cover.

In pen raised birds, either planted, or early release, Chukar generally win out.

Sooooooo.......

I guess the real answer, for me, is, which ever bird I can hunt tomorrow morning.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »