Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:50:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Winter Wonderland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Wonderland  (Read 13201 times)
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« on: February 12, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »

Hi,
as you guys might already know, today a snowstorm came across the northeast, here we managed to pick up a couple of inches, which is the most snow we had here all winter long.Finally some snow, here are some pictures of my pond, a evergreen, a grove of bamboo, and a crop of collards i have planted for the birds. Enjoy!  j2

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 08:16:38 PM »

Where are your birds they enjoy the snow to ???
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:59:47 AM »

Jim, It dosent snow under the crawl space of her house.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:01 PM »

Yes MtBullion Gamebirds is right, i have my birds covered , otherwise they would get all wet, but the birds do get to see the snow and sometimes the snow will go into their pens.
Jim, It dosent snow under the crawl space of her house.

"her" house, you mean his house, check my profile.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 04:04:52 AM »

"her" house, you mean his house, check my profile.

Well I do appologize for that.  But, pheasants do like snow, rain and sun.  Dark and dingy areas they do not like.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:33:50 AM »

Exactly Mt....Birdlover birds need to get wet, they like snow and rain and the sun, during a lot of snow/rain showers my birds stay outside in it and don't go into their shelter, because I really believe that they actually like the rain, unless it is downpoaring! So let them have some!
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 06:17:25 PM »

Hi,
Thanks for that tip Chukar Breeder & Mt Bullion Gamebirds.
Here I'm trying to keep them nice and dry, and to think they could of really enjoyed that snowstorm we had. I could see how they would like the rain and snow, i guess it feels refreshing to them. What do you guys think should i remove the cover on the roof of the pen to let rain/snow in, then build a small shelter in their pen where they could go in case downpours hit, all the rain/snow would make a complete mess though in their pen, thats what I'm afraid of, my pen has concrete on the bottom not soil,so the water would just collect instead of drain, i'll figure something out.  But i definitely will consider this tip.

Thanks Again!                           j2                   

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 08:00:02 PM »

I think that we're being "had" here.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 11:33:24 PM »

are you sure that evergreen is not a  discarded Christmas tree?? looks kinda crooked. and if you,r looking for snow come up to Maine, bring a big truck and a shovel. I will  give you all the snow you want. you can have the  s53 s53 s53 ice too.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:41:45 AM »

Hi,
Thanks for that tip Chukar Breeder & Mt Bullion Gamebirds.
Here I'm trying to keep them nice and dry, and to think they could of really enjoyed that snowstorm we had. I could see how they would like the rain and snow, i guess it feels refreshing to them. What do you guys think should i remove the cover on the roof of the pen to let rain/snow in, then build a small shelter in their pen where they could go in case downpours hit, all the rain/snow would make a complete mess though in their pen, thats what I'm afraid of, my pen has concrete on the bottom not soil,so the water would just collect instead of drain, i'll figure something out.  But i definitely will consider this tip.

Thanks Again!                           j2                   

Birdlover,

I thought you said that the birds were under your back deck? So what's the story Jerry? So you have a pen or a deck? If you have a pen, pictures please.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »

I was wondering the same thing.  We are talking about full sun and all the elements.  Did you take out advise and move the pheasant from under the deck into a flight pen?  If so, I would really like to see some pictures also. 

Messes in pens are part of the process.  You should see the mud in mine, and the smell from the mud gets bad.  We try and keep it all shoveled out, but then we loose that dirt, so I still can not imagine you keeping those birds in a backyard.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 01:49:46 PM »

Hi,

Yes birddog it is a discarded Christmas tree, instead of throwing the tree away i wanted to try to plant it, i'm going to transplant come spring to a new location, hopefully the tree will get plenty of good roots. Thanks for the offer birddog, i think we'll have more snow days before winter is over, hopefully.

Yes my pheasants are under a deck, but i call it a pen sometimes. Not to worry about the sun and elements, i'm in the process of planning out a better pen, with more sun and i'm going to plant some grass, its going to be nice, i'm working on it right now, just need time to think what i'll do, the new "pen" will easily have around 85 to 98 square feet complete with some brush ( grass etc..) ,an area with sand and dirt where they could take dust baths etc.. I might include other things too, and yes they will finallly enjoy a nice drizzle or some snow every now and then.. I should be done fixing the pen just before they lay eggs, i want them to get used to their pen before they should lay. Hopefully they'll be happy in their new pen.

labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »

Evergreen trees will not propagate like that, once you cut it down it becomes LUMBER/WOOD, but never will it be a TREE. :grin:
 What is 85 or 98sq'. That would be, what 10 x 8'6" or 10' x 9'10", where did you get your Dimensions. Nominal Stick Lumber comes in even lengths, except STUDS, are you  sure you wouldn't want to make it out of 2x4 dimensional lumber, without the odd cuts?
Me thinks you may be confused again :wink:

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 03:53:26 PM »

Yes birddog it is a discarded Christmas tree, instead of throwing the tree away i wanted to try to plant it, i'm going to transplant come spring to a new location, hopefully the tree will get plenty of good roots.
j45

new "pen" will easily have around 85 to 98 square feet

Minimum recommended pen size for something like a small Pheasant (Golden) is 100 sq. ft. (I always say 150 sq. ft.)
Another way to measure is, if grass will not survive, the pen is too small.
I can tell you now, grass in your small pen will not survive.
Your pen plans will be OK for something like a pair of Chukar or Quail.

Everyone has been over this with you before. I know you are just doing this to "bug" us. You quite simply do not have room for Pheasants. You should sell them and MAYBE just build a nice pen for a couple pet Quail/Chukar.
I'm sure if you asked nicely, someone on this forum would gladly provide a nice home for the Pheasants you have.

Even I have "down sized" in order to get ahead on pens. Untill the proper pens are in place, no one should get birds "just because".

Do the right thing.....for the birds.

(and quit trying to plant stumps  s020)

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 06:51:28 PM »

hi,
well i wanted to give it a shot with the Christmas tree, it doesn't hurt to try, the tree does show signs of growth, there are these shoots or sharp tips from the branches that are forming, maybe this is a good sign. The dimensions of the pen isn't final for sure, of course i want to do everything in my power to make the birds happy. I have a friend that has ringneck pheasants and his pens are much smaller than mine, meanwhile he has over an acre or 2, don't understand why he wouldn't take advantage of the space he has and build a large flight pen. I understand Reeves that you said the pen should be 100 sq. ft for a small pheasant like Golden, how come I've researched and a lot of people are saying 15 square feet per bird for even ringnecks, thats why i thought it was fine for my birds. I have asked people in the past and they said my dimensions were okay, i'll show you the website when i've read all that information for space requirements.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »