Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 06:04:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Best hatch yet.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best hatch yet.  (Read 2143 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: June 11, 2006, 06:51:46 PM »

I just had my first 100% hatch, granted it was only 14 eggs. I only had one 2+ year old hen and when she started laying, I decided to keep some and put them in the incubator rather than toss them. I haven't had time to tend to the incubator like I usually would do, do to a family illness. Therefore the incubator wasn't opened very much at all, water totally dried up on me at one point. I didn't even have time to candle. As you can tell, the first few eggs I had to keep for over ten days before setting, with no special care other than putting them in my cool yet very dry basement.

Just may go to prove that keeping the incubator closed as much as possible pays off or just plain luck. Never has my hatches been this good with constant monitoring/attention/adjusting, even on small batches such as this.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:46:21 PM »

Good to hear Trailboss.

Yes, I had good fertility with my own eggs as well. like 9/9 hatched the first time and not paying them much mind. Atleast you had a reason not to pay them much attention...for me, I just been lazy.hehe
jbobs
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 06:41:20 PM »

It's always great to have a 100% hatch! I'm having really crummy luck with hatching this year, it's nice to hear someone's getting it good.

Someone here a couple years ago told us a story about how they had 50 bobwhite eggs sitting in the fridge for a month, and they weren't going to eat them so they threw them in the incubator and actually got 25 chicks.

Jesi
J-Bob's Funny Farm
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »