Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:08:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  training help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: training help  (Read 4160 times)
amsrc123
« on: August 12, 2004, 06:06:45 PM »

this weekend i am taking my gsp out for some traing.  we are going to be working on steady to flush.  we have a few pheasent and a bird launcher.  i was wondering if anyone knows how to clip/tie wings so we can re-use the birds.  also was wondering if tieling 20lbs fishing line to the feet if that would work.  thanks
p.s. anyother bird dog training would help :lol:
Bird Crazed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 07:51:35 PM »

My recommendation for you is not to slow the flight at all by hobbling the bird.  You want it intense.  Consider pigeons for your excercise, hell alot less expensive.  You can save your pheasants for tracking.

To answer your question you could tie some monofiliment to the leg and leave enough slack for them to get a good flight then it would bring them down after 30 yards.
britt hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 12:18:44 AM »

I have one, cutting 16" of fishing line tie one end to one of the birds feet then on the other end put a 8x8 inch piece of cardboard drill a hole through the middle and tie it to the fishing line. The birds will fly 50-75 yards and then you can jump them agian.  after 2-3 flushes u can usally catch the bird by grabbing the cardboard. hope this helps good luck.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »