Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Supplier Feedback
| | |-+  Lake Cumberland Coturnix
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lake Cumberland Coturnix  (Read 9831 times)
Sialia

« on: January 12, 2009, 05:49:50 AM »

Does anybody have any experience with Lake Cumberland's XLD1 and their Jumbos?  I'm wondering primarily about size difference or if otherwise one is better than the other.  I'd have thought XLD1 and Jumbos would be the same. 
Sialia

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:55:51 AM »

I emailed them and got no response, but did find this picture on their website.  They say the one on the left  is the Jumbo and the one on the right is the XLD1. 
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »

The one on the right is sitting futher away from the camera witch makes it look smaller.....

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »

The one on the right is sitting futher away from the camera witch makes it look smaller.....

x2

Wonder how many people fell for that ?
Vrex

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »

I thought I had figured out where Shaquile Oneil came from. 0009
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »

Maybe he is just a product of trick photography, too.

I had some Jumbo brown Coturnix which, I believe, were descended from some that had been bought from Lake Cumberland.  I'm not sure if they actually raise them.

These were truly "Jumbo", in my oppinion.  Never weighed one, but believe the claims that they were in the 16 ounce range.  However, I never had the XLD1 (Xtra Large Deluxe?), so I can't compair the two.  For meat production, even 2-3 ounces difference might justify a few cents more per egg.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:39:56 PM »

Marsh Farms (when it was in operation) developed the XLD1 and it was only slightly larger than the normal commerical bird. The jumbo brown was developed several years later just coming on the scene within  the last few years and they are really a nice large bird for those that like to raise them and are well worth the investment.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Sialia

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 03:39:20 AM »

Marsh Farms (when it was in operation) developed the XLD1 and it was only slightly larger than the normal commerical bird. The jumbo brown was developed several years later just coming on the scene within  the last few years and they are really a nice large bird for those that like to raise them and are well worth the investment.

Now that's some good information. Thanks.

I don't think the 'trick photography' accounts for all the size difference in the photo.  Some of it sure, but even if the birds were side by side I think the Jumbo would be noticeably larger. 
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »

I wouldn't base my purchase of the Lake Cumberland birds on their supplied picture.
I'm sure we are not the first to question the positioning of the birds in the photo.
For marketing purposes alone the photo should be re-posted with a true side by side view.
Someone must have first hand information on their quail.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Vrex

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 10:36:56 AM »

Last year I purchased that 1000 mixed bag deal the had.  I received 200 very large coturnix eggs ( the size of small pheasant ).  The only eggs that were broken during shipment were the coturnix, the shells were paper thin we lost around 40 of them.  I did have a good hatch rate from them but I did not let them fully mature, 12 weeks before they hit the freezer.  I do not think I would purchase them intentionally because of the losses, however the remaining bobwhites are the best I have raised.  They are very large, hearty and fly great.  I believe they are the jumbos, I am going to purchase them again.

Mike
Sialia

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 03:20:09 AM »

How do they pack their eggs?  In paper trays?
Vrex

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »

Yes they did ship them in paper trays, the eggs were so fragile that I broke a few just taking them out.  Over all I was very pleased with what I had received, like I say I have ordered another 1000 eggs from them just not any Coturnix.
Little Bear Game Farm
Expert Member

Kick 'Em Up - Knock 'Em Down

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:47:42 PM »

Hello again!

I made two purchases from Lake Cumberland on the XLD1's last year of 100 eggs each and had one broken in each shipment.  They have been great to work with and I just preordered 100 chukar eggs two hours ago.

I didn't check how much more the jumbo eggs were but the XLD1's were small birds with silver dollar size breasts.  If the price is comparable and your looking for meat, get the jumbos.  If your looking for training, don't get coturnix.  They worked good for pointing training but not flushing... at all.

Chukar and Pheasant Propogation - Trust my advice based on the knowledge that I have not been doing this very long and don't know a lot more than I do know...  But at least I know that I don't know
Sialia

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 12:33:08 AM »

I'm interested in meat birds.  I've raised Coturnix in the past.  They weren't that big, so I guess they were the normal sized.  I want big birds this time.  I think the XLD1's and the Jumbo's are the same price at Lake Cumberland.  I'm going to try the Jumbo Browns and the Texas A&M's from Lake Cumberland unless someone knows a better source.  I'll be interested in 500 eggs of each kind.  I also want to try bobwhites so I'm going to raise some Butlers too.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »