Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Propagation - Advanced Science
| | |-+  Gestation Period for Quail Eggs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gestation Period for Quail Eggs  (Read 32275 times)
1twink
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:36:46 PM »

Can anyone tell me how long the gestation period is for Gambler Quail?  We have about 18 eggs in our backyard and do not want to distrub them but we are having a pool problem and the pool company wants to backwash the pool but that is where the eggs are!!!  HELP!! Thanks!!
faro

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 03:23:41 PM »

Hi 1twink,

Gambels take about 23 days to hatch.
1twink
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 10:55:35 AM »

THANK YOU Faro!!  We'll hold off on the pool back-wash for awhile. I haven't seen either parent sit on the eggs but from what I read on this site, the incubator should be about 100 degrees and that is what the daytime temps are here right now. About 75 at night time. Is this o.k. for the eggs? And do you know when we will know if the eggs are not fertile?  Thank you so very much for your help. We just love the 'lil guys!!!
faro

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 02:16:02 PM »

The eggs will not hatch without the hen sitting on them.

Do you know how long the eggs have been there? The hen will lay a clutch, then will start to sit. If she is adding eggs to the nest every day or so, then she will come back to set. Incubation starts when she stays on the nest. If there has been no activity at the nest for a while, then it is probably abandoned.
1twink
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 05:20:25 PM »

Hi again!  She is adding eggs every few days.  Maybe she sits on them when we aren't watching or at night when we are asleep.  I see the "Daddy" come from that area (he crosses over the pool deck).  Perhaps he is helping out with the sitting.  I'm not sure how long they have been there. I am guessing about 2 weeks.  We'll have to keep a closer eye on them. They are laid under a patch of what I call Beach Grass. It will be so nice to see the babies. Do they stay in the next a long time after they are hatched? Thanks again for your help with this!!!  Much appreciated.  Cory.
faro

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 07:49:06 PM »

The quail won't stay at the nest long. The hen will sit on them untill they have all hatched and dried. Then they will be off hunting for food. You may see the family running around your yard.

Sounds like she hasn't started setting yet, if shes still laying eggs. You will see her there most of the time when she does. Then you start counting down the 23 days.

It's nice that your waiting and letting her hatch her babies :D
1twink
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 12:06:02 PM »

Thank you for all of your help with my family!!  I will let you know when we have babies!!!  I hope that they will be alright!!  We are so excited about them!! You know how expectant Moms and Dads are!!  Thank you again and I will be in touch!!  Cory & Dan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »