Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:45:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Off Topic Discussion and Current Event's
| | |-+  Off topic, this does not pertain to birds.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Off topic, this does not pertain to birds.  (Read 23641 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2007, 03:49:27 AM »

Chuck, just had a look of your Deer on page one. I've never seen a Deer in that condition. You sure CWD is not NOW in your State ?

CharlieHorse
:???:  Don't know, I'm taking picture to the Department of Natural Resources in the morning and see what they have to say.  Regardless of what they may have to say..........it may have to be removed from the herd.  :wink:

Although some of the facts do state....."Symptoms of EHD can be very similar to those of CWD"

:???:   

The deer may have EHD and may have built up an immunity to the virus. Only time will tell. Has the deer still been seen coming to the feeder?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »

Well I go this in an email this morning from a friend of mine after he viewed the photos that I sent him along with the review.

Steve...

After reviewing your pics and factoring your written statements, I feel that the deer died of EHD. Here is my reasoning:

EHD kills an animal from the inside out. It typically kills it from hemorrhaging of organs and specifically the alimentary canal and digestive system. The stomach, small intestine, and colon hemorrhage pretty severely and the mucousal lining of the digestive system is strikingly red. When this happens a deer usually as a response tries to drink water. You mentioned he was found around the creek that was one indication it could be EHD. Another indication is that the deer has red nasal passages and likely were inflamed. This can happen with EHD as well. The definitive symptom was the red swollen anus that could be a number of things but with the bleeding and some visible hemorrhaging is a tell tail sign of EHD.

Case Closed. First one on my farm.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »

I visited the Wildlife Office this morning.

They looked at my pictures and said, "No CWD". It doesn't have any of the other characteristics that go along with it, especially at this stage.  After reviewing my other pictures of the deer, I should have been able to figure it out after just doing alot reading about it.   Duh??

They also said, "No to EHD also".  In which I didn't think it was, simply because it should have been dead by now (5-14 days for EHD to kill). My camera has been taking pictures of it for over a month, but none of the pictures where as clear as these ones (or it has just gotten worse), the other deer standing beside it in the same position also made for a good comparison.  They said, "it possibly had 3 fawns and is weak, may have had complications during birth, has had EHD for an extended period and has a strong immunity to it and could survive and be good as new in time, cancer, flus, etc., etc.  But they did rule out CWD and EHD!  Who knows?  It's always close by with others, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. I just moved my camera to a different location just before I viewed these pictures, so chances are I won't be able to keep track of it with the camera.  :x

Pheasant Hollow,

I described your deer to them and they said,  "more than likely EHD, especially in your area".

And, "Yes", the deer comes to the feeder every day with the others. The other 16 pictures show it from different angles, including its head, etc.  And seems to behave fine in the pictures, other than its coat is a different color. :eek:

Case still under investigation
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 11:06:10 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
WHITNEYPLU
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2007, 10:00:40 PM »

Question is will they give you a management tag for the deer? Or would you have to  burn one of yours to cull it from the herd? Here in Texas they will give us one if we provide a photo of the deer in question for deer management purposes. Then again if it has built up an immunity to EHD and finally does recover it might not be a bad idea passing it along to the herd thru offspring. To me I wouldnt gamble on it and see about culling it and not taking chances. Taking chances with the wait and see approach has passed a many of diseases along and allowed them to mutate. If you do get a tag for culling it ask them if you can have it autopsied thru the state and find out what the cuase of it was for sure.  I have also seen then trank them and do blood work on them as well. Just a few options you might ask them about.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2007, 05:59:44 AM »

Question is will they give you a management tag for the deer? Or would you have to  burn one of yours to cull it from the herd? Here in Texas they will give us one if we provide a photo of the deer in question for deer management purposes. Then again if it has built up an immunity to EHD and finally does recover it might not be a bad idea passing it along to the herd thru offspring. To me I wouldnt gamble on it and see about culling it and not taking chances. Taking chances with the wait and see approach has passed a many of diseases along and allowed them to mutate. If you do get a tag for culling it ask them if you can have it autopsied thru the state and find out what the cuase of it was for sure.  I have also seen then trank them and do blood work on them as well. Just a few options you might ask them about.

On the case to dispatch a CWD deer, the only time they will give the go ahead, it would have to be on your own property, and out of season. You would have to notify the DNR office and inform then what the deer is doing and what the symptoms are. Then they will either send a CO down with a biologist or tell you how to dispatch it, and bring in the head. You would have to dispose of the carcass in a legal manner, such as burying it, burning it, or bagging it up for the local garbage man.

As far as the issues with EHD deer, the symptoms are not as noticeable, and the end results are the deer are dead within 36hrs, as the case with the deer that I had found on my property. I was told to dispose of the deer in a legal manner. Since it posed no threat to the other animals around, I just covered it in lime.

As far as a replacement tag during hunting season, I don't think so. I guess it could be up to the local CO or the local District  DNR office.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2007, 10:07:40 AM »

Question is will they give you a management tag for the deer? Or would you have to  burn one of yours to cull it from the herd?

I had inqired about that and their position was, if they gave me permission to kill a "sick" deer, and "word" got out............then anyone could use the excuse, "I thought it was a sick deer, so I killed it".  I didn't push the issue, I know how things work.....:wink: :grin:.  If they are not concerned about it enough to check it............then I surely don't have time to fool with it. I've got better things to do. 
    If it were to have CWD, you could kill all the deer in the state that had it and the disease would still be there for the rest of them, it does not go away for 3-4 years, it survives in the soil. Canada had the same disease with sheep some time back and they tried everything to kill it in the soil, barns, etc, etc.  And it came right back and infected the replacement flocks.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2007, 01:53:29 PM »

Question is will they give you a management tag for the deer? Or would you have to  burn one of yours to cull it from the herd?

I had inqired about that and their position was, if they gave me permission to kill a "sick" deer, and "word" got out............then anyone could use the excuse, "I thought it was a sick deer, so I killed it".  I didn't push the issue, I know how things work.....:wink: :grin:.  If they are not concerned about it enough to check it............then I surely don't have time to fool with it. I've got better things to do. 
    If it were to have CWD, you could kill all the deer in the state that had it and the disease would still be there for the rest of them, it does not go away for 3-4 years, it survives in the soil. Canada had the same disease with sheep some time back and they tried everything to kill it in the soil, barns, etc, etc.  And it came right back and infected the replacement flocks.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I here ya on that one. That is why they want the head here.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2007, 01:56:14 PM »

You also have to bring in the head by the next business day(anything over 24 hrs can't be tested for CWD. Then they get ya for killing out of season.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2007, 02:00:24 PM »

Oh, and the way I look at it, it is not worth the aggravation to dispose of the balance of the animal. Let Mother Nature take care of it, as long as it doesn't die on my property and I can't smell it.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »

CharlieHorse,

How's that deer doing? So far I haven't found any more around the property that have died, although I haven't seen the as many deer on the property as I did in the before the 15 of Oct. either.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2007, 04:03:32 PM »

CharlieHorse,

How's that deer doing?

I have no idea. I had moved the camera to another location prior to viewing the pictures with that nasty deer on it. 

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 04:23:39 PM »

CharlieHorse,

How's that deer doing?

I have no idea. I had moved the camera to another location prior to viewing the pictures with that nasty deer on it. 

Has anybody noticed any dead deer in the area? Things seem to have slowed down around this area. Still no sign of any frost within the near future. It hit 82 here at 4pm. Clouds rolling in for some rain. How much is anyone guess.

Check out these pictures of my creek that is in the front of the house. I usually have a least 2 feet of water running at all times. I have never had my bridge tubes dry.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2007, 04:25:13 PM »

Phote # 2

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 04:26:12 PM »

Photo # 3

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 04:29:22 PM »

Photo # 4

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:31:09 PM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »