Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 01:44:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Another day with birds...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another day with birds...  (Read 4799 times)
Equismith

« on: March 21, 2008, 03:54:09 PM »

I went with Libby to train some this morning. I released four quail. Three scurried out on foot. One flew out like a bullet. After a short wait, we went looking for them. The three anti-flyers were not very far away. Maybe 20 yards. Libby caught wind of them and locked up on point. I had a hard time seeing them. I finally did get eyes on two of them. After Libby held point for about three minutes while I was snapping photos, I finally went in and flushed them. Expecting three to flush, only two exploded out and away. The third one had apparently snuck out while we were focused in on the others.

After the flush, I tried to get Libby to follow to where the bullet had flown when first released. She didn’t want to listen. I finally figured out why. She had scented the third of the foot beaters. It had made its way back towards the recall pen. Libby was moving in. I called “whoa” and she froze, looking at me kinda puzzled though. I didn’t want her to go after that one as it was trying to get back to the recall pen. Libby listened and held her spot. I watched as the lone quail made its way to the side of the recall pen. It frantically paced back and forth on the funnel side and after a few laps back and forth, it entered the funnel and joined the others.

Anyway, it was a good morning. Libby is now worn out and sleeping. Here are a few photos.

Libby on point.

The quail is about 4 feet in front of her and well hidden from view. I had a hard time seeing it.

Libby takin’ a break from the fun.

The recall pen. I actually saw a quail go into the recall funnel today, which is visible if you look closely. The pines where we have it are nice and make it out to have the appearance of a large room with a green canopy..

« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 09:27:32 AM by Equismith » Logged

DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 07:03:47 AM »

Nice looking dog.
Has she got birds in her mouth yet.
I guess i would like her since Britt's are all dad and i run.
Extremely nice photos on the post how do you do it.
Larry Lain
www.doublelquailfarms.com
Equismith

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »

Nice looking dog.
Has she got birds in her mouth yet.
I guess i would like her since Britt's are all dad and i run.
Extremely nice photos on the post how do you do it.
Larry Lain

Nice looking dog. Thanks!

Has she got birds in her mouth yet. Yes. Unfortunately each were my fault. She's not had them shot over her, but has caught two at my failure to watch her closely. One was about a month ago. She jumped it three times and found it four times. The fourth was when the bird flew into honeysuckle and couldn't get out quickly enough. It was her first time on birds. The second was yesterday. She had a younger pup with her so I let her chase the bird after it flushed to get the pup involved. It too got hung up in some dead limbs and she caught it. I got her to drop it, but she shook it rather hard when it was flapping in her mouth. It lasted about ten minute after that.

I guess i would like her since Britt's are all dad and i run. I love my Brit. She's a hard runner and has a strong desire to please her master. She's a needy dog and craves affection. I don't mind that a bit.

Extremely nice photos on the post how do you do it. Thanks. I took the photos of the quail in hiding while Libby was holding point. She held for a very long time. I was able to get several photos, many of which were not very good. But that's the good thing about digital. I finally got tired of waiting and went in to flush them. She outlasted me on the point. s020

DoubleL911
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:35:15 AM »

Dad and i let a dog do what ever they want the first year we don't mind if they catch a few pen raised birds . We know they will learn that they cant catch wild birds. If they don't have that drive to to find them you cant train that.

" You can pull a chain a lot easier than you can push it."

Larry Lain
Equismith

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 05:24:59 PM »

We've been having alot of rain lately, but we finally got out this afternoon.

Libby is not yet eight months old. She keeps amazing me at how well she holds her point. Plenty long enough for me to get these photos and more on the same point with no one to help me hold her steady.

murphys42002

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 11:30:56 PM »

Sweeeet!!! HOW FUN IS THAT!!!!When I work our pups one day the next day is fun time! So we jumped on the horses and took the 13 mo old for a run.My wife noticed Paige locked up about 100 yrds away and told me to look.I didn't say a word...Instead I ran the horse right upto her and jumped off.My wife freeked when the horse started walking off.I was pretty sure by the way she was standing that there had to be a bird so I started to kick around.After I got about 15 to 25 yrds away I flushed 15 to 20 birds. She never moved!These have to be the birds I started last year.What a joy to see the pup do what she does!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 12:06:10 AM »

I think that is great!!!!! I used to train Labs . You have a nice pup..Good Luck with her..

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »