Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:47:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  First Birds
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Birds  (Read 11285 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 08:01:01 AM »

Too bad that you don't have a 110 volt power source nearby. Here's a method that will fix stray dogs.......or any other critter. My father used this method several times when I was growing up, it worked the first time....every time.  Pheasant Hollow could use this method.  Of course, one would have to make sure that their own animals (and humans) are confined when it is in use:

* He took an old screen from window that has a metal frame and steel screen and lay it on the ground where the unwanted animal frequents.

* He put a plastic bowl with dog food or other food substance in bowl and add enough water to make everything nice and moist, place it in the middle of screen.

* Next, he'd take an electrical cord that has the male plug on one end,  take the other end, strip the wire ends and attach the "ground" to the screen frame (CAUTION: Be sure that it is the ground wire, especially if it is a 2-prong plug and can be plugged in either way, make sure that the polarity is correct).

* Then he'd take the end of the hot wire (positive, 110 volt) and tie a bolt or large nut on the stripped wire and put it down in the wet food.

* He wouldn't plug the thing in until it is completely assembled and everyone and everything is away and there is absolutely no chance of anyone getting near it while it is plugged in and being used. 

Critter comes along, looking for a free meal, smells some scrumptious vittles that somebody left out in a bowl, walks up and stands on screen (grounded), sticks nose in wet food (charged with 110 volts) and..........BAMMM!!!!........a dead short!!   :-o  That's gotta hurt somethin' terrible!   

I never seen him kill a dog using this method.......but there is a good chance it could. Either way, they never came back!  LOL!

*Disclaimer*:  This is not intended for use, it's just a story about what I witnessed my father doing to problem dogs, he was a licensed electrician who knew what he was doing.  Could be potentially life threatening to humans and animals. Don't try this at home!

I would love to try it, but my dogs have the run of the property. That set-up is definitely not a touchy-feely operation. That is enough to send the animal into the next county, or hold it there until the fuse blows.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »

It's good to see that there is still some leeway towards the dogs.  granted  dogs should not be running loose. but  s53 happens !  the dog owner should step up and take care of the problem. I have been in situations where my dogs have  escaped there pens  and I immediately get a call from some neighbor. who states that your dogs are running loose on my property and I am giving you fair warning . because I can legally shoot them for tresspassing on my property.  blah  p33 blah  p33 blah but when his cattle escape and run down my property line  spooking my horses and causing them to break through there  fence. can I fire up the BBQ get out the 30.06 and start inviting friends to the feast. NO DIFFERENT STORY. things happen. people just need to own up to it and make it right . if my dogs got loose and killed someone Else's birds I would be right there to replace the birds. and offer to help any way I could.

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
cancan

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »

I had nearly 300 birds killed and another2-300 got loose with one attack...5 pitbulls. One that challenged me was shot point blank...another challenger was given the chance to make a choice....he ran.....neighbor never even appologized so I made a complaint....he lost his dogs...they had many complaints and none of them were vaccinated.

If they are vicious they are shot...if not they are caught and either sent to the pound or offered to their owners at a price....usually a little more than the damage they cause.

May sound harsh but ya gotta take a stand some time or you'll get run over...over and over again.

Cats are another story.

todays might oak is just yesterdays nut that held his ground.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »