Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:12:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  First Birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Birds  (Read 11291 times)
Equismith

« on: February 23, 2008, 09:28:22 PM »

This was Libby's first exposure to live birds. We had a blast!

This is the gentleman helping me by allowing Libby and me the use of his land. He just got a 3 month old Brittany, Libby's half brother.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:48:45 PM »

Thanks for the pics, looks like a good day.

:cool:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:00:52 AM »

I've been meaning to ask.... is this pup from Nolan?

Glad to see you had her on a check cord, a lot of guys don't take the time to do it right.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:03:35 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Equismith

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:41:21 AM »

Libby isn't registered and I don't know her parent's names. Her father is registered but her mother isn't.

She was a $75 steal from the breeder. The breeder is a hunter and raises quail himself. They hunt for the fun of it and aren't into the field trials or pedigrees. My gain on that. Most Brits around these parts are going from $200 per pup and up, depending on age and training.

Mr. Scott, the landowner, just got Libby's half brother for $75. We're in for a fun ride with the pups.

We both just want a good dog and to have good life experiences with the dogs.

I don't think I have to time to get deep into the field trial stuff. It looks like fun though.

I did let her off the check chord to allow her to just run and have fun since it was her first time. It was late in the day. She was focused and searching all the while.

In the one photo where you see her in the distance, she flushed that quail and it went about 70 yards with her hot on it's tail. She flushed it again and it flew into a honeysuckle thicket. Unfortunately Libby caught it. But to my surprise, after getting it in mouth, brought it straight to me. She was about 130 yards away from me. The quail didn't survive, but it was not damaged. It may have died from shock or her gripping it. It was fluttering wildly when she emerged from the honeysuckle.

I just can't believe she brought it back to my feet and dropped it and sat there looking up at me for praise.

It was awesome.

We called it quits after that. She was worn out from a day in the field. So was I.

Life is good. i5

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »

Nice pics. Real fun day.

You picked the perfect moment to call it a day. Win win.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
IANative

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 04:36:39 PM »

I haven't seen a Johnny House built like that before.  Can you provide some specifics on it, such as:

Ingress/egress?
Food/water system?
Is that the permanent location?  Are they more susceptible to predation out in the open like that?
Any more pics?

Thanks.
Equismith

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 06:07:28 PM »

I haven't seen a Johnny House built like that before.  Can you provide some specifics on it, such as:

Ingress/egress?
Food/water system?
Is that the permanent location?  Are they more susceptible to predation out in the open like that?
Any more pics?

Thanks.

Ingress/egress? Funnel with no out unless we let them out.

Food/water system? 1 gallon waterer with 10lb feeder - The simple plastic type for chickens. The feeder is hanging from a hook to elevate it.

Is that the permanent location? No - We plan on moving it when we seem to have a good population established.

Are they more susceptible to predation out in the open like that? Yes - We plan on concealing and providing cover from cut brush stacked against the pen.

Any more pics? Not right now. Sorry.

Equismith

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »

Also, I originally placed it closer to natural cover, but the landowner, Mr. Scott in the photos, wanted it in the center of the field. I ain't arguing. He's letting me use his land for free. He's has farm equipment to plant the necessary food plots. He's been a huge help to me and Libby.

Equismith

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »

s178

We moved the recall pen today to a stand of tall mature longleaf pines with minimal undergrowth. Lots of honeysuckle and various tall thin weeds, briars, and hedge are under the pines but it's still open and has great visibility. We were down to 7 birds. We changed the recall funnel a bit and bought 27 more birds today.

The field is coming along great with lots of springtime growth, and we've not even put any seed out yet. Insects are out everywhere on the small blooming vegetation. Things are sure going to be great this fall.

I'll try to get a photo or two of the new location.

aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »

Looks fun.  a31

You may want to go with 1/2" wire if predators are an issue.
Equismith

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 10:04:57 AM »

Yep. We went with 1x2 welded wire yesterday. I arrived for a morning of training and three dogs were tearing into the pen. They successfully got one quail. They pulled his leg off, which killed him, and then tore into the pen where he was. They only got one quail from what I can tell. They had just done the deed when I arrived. I found them surrounding the pen and wished I had my gun. s53

Well. $35 later I had some 2x4s and a 25' roll of welded wire. It's a small Fort Knox now.

When I go back, I'll have the shotgun loaded with about four rounds of OOB.

I have a severe problem with dogowners who let mischievous dogs run at large. Our county has an ordinance protecting landowners who shoot destructive s dogs.

I'm not above shooting one who is tearing up my investment of training and live birds.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »

....... three dogs were tearing into the pen.

I've blasted a many dog in the hind end with a shotgun as they are leaving the scene/property, at about the right distance to let them know they are not welcome, without doing any permanent or life threatening damage to them. The owners are the ones who need a good blast in the hind end moreso than the dogs.   :evil:  It's hard enough to keep the varmints away, without having to deal with somebody's dog who has no business owning a dog in the first place.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 04:10:55 AM »

....... three dogs were tearing into the pen.

I've blasted a many dog in the hind end with a shotgun as they are leaving the scene/property, at about the right distance to let them know they are not welcome, without doing any permanent or life threatening damage to them. The owners are the ones who need a good blast in the hind end moreso than the dogs.   :evil:  It's hard enough to keep the varmints away, without having to deal with somebody's dog who has no business owning a dog in the first place.

I know where you are coming from s80 The neighbors dog , German Shepard a cross the street has killed my two pet chickens that ate food with my dogs. The Shepard now runs my pens.

The dog was here yesterday and the call was made to get the dog. 3x yesterday.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Equismith

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »

Add 1x2 welded wire to this and this is what we have now. The pines are visible in the background. The dogs actually ripped off the plywood panels in the corner in the left of the photo trying to get to the birds. They chewed the tin roof. There were teethmarks in the tin.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 12:54:59 AM »

Too bad that you don't have a 110 volt power source nearby. Here's a method that will fix stray dogs.......or any other critter. My father used this method several times when I was growing up, it worked the first time....every time.  Pheasant Hollow could use this method.  Of course, one would have to make sure that their own animals (and humans) are confined when it is in use:

* He took an old screen from window that has a metal frame and steel screen and lay it on the ground where the unwanted animal frequents.

* He put a plastic bowl with dog food or other food substance in bowl and add enough water to make everything nice and moist, place it in the middle of screen.

* Next, he'd take an electrical cord that has the male plug on one end,  take the other end, strip the wire ends and attach the "ground" to the screen frame (CAUTION: Be sure that it is the ground wire, especially if it is a 2-prong plug and can be plugged in either way, make sure that the polarity is correct).

* Then he'd take the end of the hot wire (positive, 110 volt) and tie a bolt or large nut on the stripped wire and put it down in the wet food.

* He wouldn't plug the thing in until it is completely assembled and everyone and everything is away and there is absolutely no chance of anyone getting near it while it is plugged in and being used. 

Critter comes along, looking for a free meal, smells some scrumptious vittles that somebody left out in a bowl, walks up and stands on screen (grounded), sticks nose in wet food (charged with 110 volts) and..........BAMMM!!!!........a dead short!!   :-o  That's gotta hurt somethin' terrible!   

I never seen him kill a dog using this method.......but there is a good chance it could. Either way, they never came back!  LOL!

*Disclaimer*:  This is not intended for use, it's just a story about what I witnessed my father doing to problem dogs, he was a licensed electrician who knew what he was doing.  Could be potentially life threatening to humans and animals. Don't try this at home!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:13:12 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »