Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 10:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  any suggestions for my lab?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: any suggestions for my lab?  (Read 4833 times)
bellesdad
« on: September 03, 2007, 09:39:52 PM »

Have a lab who is almost two.  She's got a great nose and loves to retrieve bumpers and those bird dummies but when it comes to the real deal, she wants to toss it up in the air like a cat!  Any suggestions? 
I work with her in the morning and in the evening and she does seems to be getting better.  I've been working her with doves but ideally want to be able to take her out to the club on pheasants.  Bought a few adult pheasants from a local person and when we released them and shot them she ran to it and stood there.  She attempted to bring it back but only made one retrieve and I practically had to dive bomb her when she got near me.  I know that she has it in her to be a hunter but how do I keep her from playing with the bird?
She seems to be doing better on frozen birds than fresh ones.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:45:24 PM by bellesdad » Logged
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »

i might be able to help you.try putting your dog on a check cord throw a freshly killed bird not a frozen bird.throw it within distance of your 30ft or longer check cord.when she fetches it pull her to you on the check cord to you do not let her stop with it.keep her moving towards you with the bird in her mouth.you can also do some table work with her to hold and walk with it.when she has it in her mouth make her hold it firm and make her walk with it if she tries to play with it correct her right away and start over.when she is done she should want to carry that bird to you with calmness.but i would start with the checkcord.let me know if it works.if that doesn't work i have other ways to fix the problem cause every dog has a different way of learning this.

Lenny
Sugar Run Gamebirds

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
bellesdad
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 02:32:43 PM »

hey thanks!  will try the check cord tonight.  i'll let you know how she does.
AA Plantation
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »

Dogs learn by contact, association, and repeation.
Learning the basics of retrieving can be done several ways.
One way is from force breaking, Allot of dogs never pass this one. It is tough on the dog and either they have it or they don't. You can still get most dogs to learn through this method if you either have allot of time or allot of money. I think most good lab trainers are charging 600 and up per month.
The other method is spending your time and playing the go get the ball / bumper game.
Either way you decide to go. There is still the issue of bird drive to contend with.
In training bird dogs to retrieve that have either had one or both of these methods. I still find there is no replacement for killing allot of birds.
The dog is still smarter than we will give them credit for. Any good dog trainer is more of a facilitator than a teacher.
Time on the ground and birds cannot be replaced by any amount of money spent on training equipment or even the worlds best trainer.
A hunting compainion is a expensive investment. However, the rewards are priceless.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:22:11 PM by AA Plantation » Logged
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 12:20:30 PM »

Dogs learn by contact, association, and repeation.
Learning the basics of retrieving can be done several ways.
One way is from force breaking, Allot of dogs never pass this one. It is tough on the dog and either they have it or they don't. You can still get most dogs to learn through this method if you either have allot of time or allot of money. I think most good lab trainers are charging 600 and up per month.
The other method is spending your time and playing the go get the ball / bumper game.
Either way you decide to go. There is still the issue of bird drive to contend with.
In training bird dogs to retrieve that have either had one or both of these methods. I still find there is no replacement for killing allot of birds.
The dog is still smarter than we will give them credit for. Any good dog trainer is more of a facilitator than a teacher.
Time on the ground and birds cannot be replaced by any amount of money spent on training equipment or even the worlds best trainer.
A hunting compainion is a expensive investment. However, the rewards are priceless.

Very well said Dale!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
BravoSpinone

Bella e Bravo Spinone

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 11:48:30 AM »

I began with retrivers.  I have spinoni now, and teach "trained retrive".  The below videos will get you started.  It should be fun for your dog!!  Don't worry about time, it took several months to train Sophia.  I just started with Lucy she is 2 yr.  Lucy was a natural retriver as a puppy,  but she will go through the process just the same.

Tri-Tronics Video Series Part I - Hold and Part II- Fetch Tri-Tronics Video

www.gundogsonline.com/dog-training-books-and-videos/dog-training-videos/

Dan
bellesdad
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 01:47:57 PM »

Thanks for all the help.  We've been trying the different methods that you guys have suggested.  She's been doing much better with repetition.  She'll be ready for next year.  If only this heat wave would finally break!  This heat zaps her energy quick.  Oh yeah, I think I've figured out what she's doing when she's tossing the bird in the air...she's trying to get a better grab!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »