Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:16:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  DIZZYING BIRDS FOR TRAINING DOGS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DIZZYING BIRDS FOR TRAINING DOGS  (Read 5227 times)
JIM
« on: July 23, 2005, 01:25:55 AM »

I KNOW THERE IS A WAY TO DIZZY A BIRD SO WHEN YOU PUT IT DOWN IT WILL STAY FOR QUITE A WHILE. I HAVE DONE IT IN THE PAST WITH PIGEONS BUT TRIED IT TODAY WITH QUAIL AND IT DIDN'T WORK FOR SOME REASON. MAYBE I'M NOT DOING IT RIGHT???
britt hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:30:54 AM »

On a video I have it says just to put there head under there wing and pull there feet back straight do this for 20-30 sec and they are usually out.  then by the time you get your dog out there they are alittle more alert to fly off without the dog catching them
huntindog
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 01:02:45 PM »

Britt hunter is right.  If you want them to sleep a little longer, after you tuck their head under the wing and pull their feet, lay them down on the wing that their head is tucked under.
onpoint

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 08:53:30 PM »

The method I like best for quail is to put them in a feed sack (with gloves on), swing the sack around in a circle 5-10 times, grab the bottom of the sack, and shake out the bird(s) into the cover and walk away. I have put out several little coveys this way and all will stay put and fly well when you flush them.

Chuck Rose
Sunset Acres Gamebirds & Dog Training Area
Centerburg, Ohio
740-625-7511
740-504-0033
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2005, 04:28:54 PM »

There was discussion at great length about "dizzying birds" on the old forum. It was criticised harshly by more than one member who had a lot of experience. I don't remember who it was, but they said it "wasn't necessary" and it many times resulted in poor flushes and less than desireable flyers. Not speaking from personal experience mind you. Just regurgitating information I found on this site in the past.

All my birds are released from a JH and fly off on there own before working the dog on them.

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »